Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

carpenter bee "explosion"

I have a carpenter bee infestation in my privacy fence. I've ordered Brian's bee traps and bee butter for a longer term solution. But a few weeks ago dusted the holes which killed off a round of bees. I did not plug up the holes. Now, at a few of these nesting sites, I have what looks like an explosion. There are splinters up to 4" long! All going outward. I've never heard woodpeckers close to the house, but they are here in northern Alabama. Any ideas on what could have caused this, and how to prevent this from happening at the other nesting sites?

GetOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOut View Post
I have a carpenter bee infestation in my privacy fence. I've ordered Brian's bee traps and bee butter for a longer term solution. But a few weeks ago dusted the holes which killed off a round of bees. I did not plug up the holes. Now, at a few of these nesting sites, I have what looks like an explosion. There are splinters up to 4" long! All going outward. I've never heard woodpeckers close to the house, but they are here in northern Alabama. Any ideas on what could have caused this, and how to prevent this from happening at the other nesting sites?
My extended family is in the bee business. They raise honey. I haven't visited in awhile but they know what I want when I come. And I reach my hand into a hive and grab a piece of honey comb dripping with amber stuff. I've been stung by bees but never at the honey farm.

I know something about bees. Carpenter bees are beyond nasty and overly protective. I honestly do not know if they can sting. From experience not one has ever stung me even will buzzing and acting nasty.

Carpenter bees are great drill bits. They can dig out perfect holes in no times. Other than that they are just annoying and stupid. From my limited perspective as to what they are up to.

Other creatures know to look at the holes they make. That wood splintering was not done by a carpenter bee.

Got any squirrels near you. They are notorious for finding any open hole and expanding it.

Buy a caulking gun and some silcone caulk and fill the holes. And call an exterminator that knows killing bees of any kind is not good. Just have him or her move them.

Bees are part of our food chain in a major way. Unexplained their numbers diminish. They buzz around from flower to flower and provide us with things like at least most fruits we eat.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-30-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,144

The junk your using is going to do almost nothing.
Order some Timbor on line or just buy bottles or Roach Away, it's 95% boric acid.
Mix it up in the hotest water you can get in a pump sprayer, and shake it up real gooo and spray in on the whole fence.
Any exterminator can also do it for you.
Once it drys the fence will look the same but if the bees eat the wood it kills them by dehydrating them.

The added damage to your fence is from Wood Peckers going after the larvi still in the hole when you killed just the bee.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,244

This Winter was not kind in helping to control the creepy critter & flying critter population. Your best bet is to find some local bug & critter control company, that can help to not only show you how to control them, but can put down the right stuff. We got lucky when we first bought our house, and the company that came in to take care of some Silverfish and to help control "Flying Cockroaches" that were getting into our basement, left us with the good stuff that was no longer on the market back in 2003.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-30-2012), user1007 (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,144

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef611.asp
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-30-2012)