Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Can roaches come up through the sink drain?

I went to get a glass of water last night and saw a large roach in the sink. It had to be around 1.5" it was HUGE. This is the first roach I've seen in my apartment and I've been here for almost 4 years. I know they come out of hiding at night but I almost daily go to the kitchen in the middle of the night to grab something. It's a small kitchen too.

Anyway, I keep the kitchen really clean.. No dirty dishes or food left out in the open. I saw a few mice several years ago and went through the whole place sealing up cracks with caulking and plugging holes with steel wool and aluminum tape. Went underneath sinks and behind the stove and did the same thing.

So how did this huge roach manage to get in? I'm thinking it crawled up the sink pipe but I read somewhere that they can't do this because of the p-trap. Or is it possible it came from somewhere else and got stuck in the sink (I rear that roaches can't climb up the side of the sink because it's too smooth for them to scale).

Is it possible that this is just a one off thing and it somehow got in through a crack I don't know about? Or is it possible that there are more of them hiding out behind my kitchen cabinets and they are squeezing there way through the gaps and crevices of the cabinet doors? I just went through the kitchen cabinets this morning and didn't see any signs of roach droppings. [But I did remember a few years ago seeing signs of droppings (looked like small specs of ground coffee) at the corner of the kitchen countertop. It was directly underneath a small gap between the upper cabinets and wall. I plugged that gap and haven't seen the specs come back.]

I'd appreciate some advice for those who have gone through a similar situation. Thanks

acdc is offline   Reply With Quote