Black Bumble Bees? - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
bsa_bob

Rewards Points: 150
Question

black bumble bees?

I had them burrowing arond in my facia board quite a bit before catching them, and therefore plugging their routes around inside the fascia board.I gets up on my ladder ..and filled the holes. ALL and many.with regular caulking out of a gun. I stepped out into my attached garage week later....and hear a sound............must be a woodpecker o/s hammerimg on that board i filled !,Sure enough it was!............ he had open all the trails i had plugged solid the week before. I know aluminum covering would be good way to go.. but its not in my budget for this summer. What can i fill those holes and trails with,[special caulking etc], that will keep those darn wood peckers from chewing up my fascia board i live in michigan help!! thanks all bob s

ps Caulking keeps the bees out ......but not the woodpeckers. I was going to shoot those peckers off the side of my roof, but was afraid i might shoot the neighbor.hes to good a guy for that just kiddin

Advertisement

bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

black bumble bees?

There called boring bees.
Try to just caulk the holes in not going to do any good.
There boring in there to lay an egg and leave pollen for it to eat when it come out of the shell.
Once it comes out it will just eat another hole in the wood.
The wood peckers going after the larvi left in the hole.
Replace the wood and wrapping it with coil stock would be a perminate fix.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
operagost (05-02-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #3

black bumble bees?

I have seen a lot of damage done by carpenter bees and the woodpeckers going after the carpenter bees larvae on homes around this area. Covering the facia is the most practical solution.

http://www.carpenterbees.com/carpenter-bee-control
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 664

black bumble bees?

When I worked as an exterminator I go to an older ladys house, as I go to ring the door bell it sounded like my ears were ringing. The lady comes to the door crying, the first words out of her mouth was please make it stop.
There was thousands of holes in the cedar sidng and the bees where inside the walls everywhere.

I killed all the bees, years later I drive by and there removing all the siding and going with Cedar Impression siding. No more bees.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
bsa_bob

black bumble bees?

Wow!!.............I was thinking i could do this inexpensively, So i see what needs to be done.....funny thing is they were doing this to my garage carport.....i filled the holes with caulk, and sprayed the spots with bee killer,,,,,,,,,besides battling it out with them flying around while i was doing this.Never came back in 2 years.
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

black bumble bees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There called boring bees.
Try to just caulk the holes in not going to do any good.
There boring in there to lay an egg and leave pollen for it to eat when it come out of the shell.
Once it comes out it will just eat another hole in the wood.
The wood peckers going after the larvi left in the hole.
Replace the wood and wrapping it with coil stock would be a perminate fix.
I agree with this statement. They must be boring bees. And the solution of these bees is good. I will try it also and hope to get good result.

Brisbane Pest Treatment

Last edited by Donald32; 04-05-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Donald32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

black bumble bees?

Near my part of the world they are called carpenter bees. The ones I have encountered are larger then bumble bees, extremely aggressive, loud and annoying but actually seldom sting or anything like that. They can bore perfectly round holes and build nests/hives in the spaces they decide they want and are dangerous mainly because of the damage they do in the process as far as I know. They do not produce honey or anything.

Calling an exterminator is not a bad idea if you have an infestation of the things. You may have some wood restoration ahead of you after they are gone. Caulking may help but for only a minute. Never underestimate the damage they may have done. Like carpenter ants you may not notice it until you pull a piece of facia, exterior door trim or whatever off.

Woodpeckers do like the nests/hives but as you know, flock of those can create some noise too. You need to be a good shot or be into good old fashioned bird shot in a shotgun to nail a fast moving woodpecker. Unless your trained aim is really good with a handgun (like mine was once) and you do not wear continuous bifocal lenses (like I do now)... And then you have new holes in your facia or trim and as you suggested your neighbors will be frightened.

Last edited by user1007; 04-03-2013 at 03:54 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

black bumble bees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Near my part of the world they are called carpenter bees. The ones I have encountered are larger then bumble bees, extremely aggressive, loud and annoying but actually seldom sting or anything like that. They can bore perfectly round holes and build nests/hives in the spaces they decide they want and are dangerous mainly because of the damage they do in the process as far as I know. They do not produce honey or anything.

Calling an exterminator is not a bad idea if you have an infestation of the things. You may have some wood restoration ahead of you after they are gone. Caulking may help but for only a minute. Never underestimate the damage they may have done. Like carpenter ants you may not notice it until you pull a piece of facia, exterior door trim or whatever off.

Woodpeckers do like the nests/hives but as you know, flock of those can create some noise too. You need to be a good shot or be into good old fashioned bird shot in a shotgun to nail a fast moving woodpecker. Unless your trained aim is really good with a handgun (like mine was once) and you do not wear continuous bifocal lenses (like I do now)... And then you have new holes in your facia or trim and as you suggested your neighbors will be frightened.

Shoot em for all I care but know this

All wild birds are protected by state and federal laws, with the exception of the European
starling, rock (feral) pigeon, and English sparrow. This means that you cannot shoot at,
trap, poison, or otherwise kill, capture or possess one without a permit.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

black bumble bees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Shoot em for all I care but know this

All wild birds are protected by state and federal laws, with the exception of the European
starling, rock (feral) pigeon, and English sparrow. This means that you cannot shoot at,
trap, poison, or otherwise kill, capture or possess one without a permit.
Damn. I wanted an excuse to buy me a shotgun or print out an automatic weapon on a 3D printer today. You have ruined my day!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

black bumble bees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Damn. I wanted an excuse to buy me a shotgun or print out an automatic weapon on a 3D printer today. You have ruined my day!

sorry
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

black bumble bees?

Keep a tennis racket handy. That'll help knock 'em outta the air, to then be stomped on; with murderous zeal. Kill as many as you can. They'll dive bomb and generally act all aggressive but it's all bluff.

Damn things bored the hell out of two of my old fence posts. They'll generally skip boring into painted surfaces, but everything else is fair game.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

black bumble bees?

I have heard that only the female of this species is able to sting. The males are the most aggressive though. There is no way for the naked eye to tell the gender.

Talk about useless information!
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 95

black bumble bees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Keep a tennis racket handy. That'll help knock 'em outta the air, to then be stomped on; with murderous zeal. Kill as many as you can. They'll dive bomb and generally act all aggressive but it's all bluff.

Damn things bored the hell out of two of my old fence posts. They'll generally skip boring into painted surfaces, but everything else is fair game.
LOL

my neighbor turned me on to "bumble bee badminton" the first summer i was in the house. we had tons of carpenter bees, so that was an entertaining sporting event all summer long by his pool.

extra points if one can take out two with one swing.

a badminton racket, IMO, is a better option than a tennis one. lighter, more nimble for the double swings one needs at times, and more sporting since the string area is smaller.
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

black bumble bees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
LOL

my neighbor turned me on to "bumble bee badminton" the first summer i was in the house. we had tons of carpenter bees, so that was an entertaining sporting event all summer long by his pool.

extra points if one can take out two with one swing.

a badminton racket, IMO, is a better option than a tennis one. lighter, more nimble for the double swings one needs at times, and more sporting since the string area is smaller.
I was going to post about my racquetball racket last night when I read this thread. I didn't want to be the only bee killing psycho though. I find the wrist control of the racquetball racket really lets me get a good swing in.

I am really glad to read I am not the only guy who goes to war against these things in the spring and summer.

I had 19 confirmed kills last year, and I leave the bodies out for a day to warn the rest of what lies ahead for them.

I will break the 20 mark this year, I can't wait to get started.

My live in girlfriend thinks I am insane with my zest for bee killing.

You can tell the gender once you've killed enough. I kill mostly the annoying males, the females are too busy making swiss cheese out of my deck.

I was considering some small firecrackers that just happen to be perfectly round, just like the holes they make. I decided the racket was at least sporting.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 04-05-2013 at 08:30 AM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

black bumble bees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
I was considering some small firecrackers that just happen to be perfectly round, just like the holes they make. I decided the racket was at least sporting.
Bill Murray used explosives in Caddy Shack!

Advertisement