Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #1

Share |

Bed Bug prevention

What can one do to prevent bed bug infestations?

Does anyone recommend an particular type of pesticide?

What should you do when returning from a public place? WOuld wiping down your shoes with alcohol be able to destroy any bed bugs?

crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
pest control operator

Bed Bug prevention

Be prepared to read a lot and to spend a lot of time doing it. The entire pest control industry is in the early stages of learning and dealing with these guys.

Google "bed bugs and Potter". Professor Potter is clearly an expert in this field. Spend a lot of time reading and learning about bbug habits.

It's not likely that shoes would be a problem, unless you take them off as you would in a hotel room. It is more likely that suitcases, luggage, bags would be a problem. Some people in hotel rooms are living out of their suitcases (not using the hotel furniture), zipping up and storing in bathtub or bringing their own heavy-duty plastic bags to seal everything in.

Bbugs will feed on your body, but won't stay on you. So focus on keeping them out of clothing, luggage, etc. Learn how to inspect for them; again-google bed bugs and Potter. Treating for them is very labor and chemical intensive with repeat treatments. Very expensive.

For apartment dwellers, if your neighbor has bbugs you will eventually get them anyway no matter what you do. Not very optimistic, I know, but you will deduce that yourself when you read the suggested material.

I'm glad we live in the woods.

PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PAbugman For This Useful Post:
crisp (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #3

Bed Bug prevention

Would you also include bag checks as things to avoid? At some places they require you to check your bag. I am also thinking about spraying some type of bedbug repellent outside my apartment door.
crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
pest control operator

Bed Bug prevention

Luggage, bags, furniture, clothing, etc. are all involved in bedbug tranportation. Even theater seats have been implicated.

Bedbugs won't just come in under the door-they love wall void harborage and will come through cracks and crevices that occur naturally in frame wall construction. As I said earlier, if neighboring apts have bedbugs, than so will yours eventually. Treating for them, as a cure or preventative, is very labor and chemical intensive. Spend time reading/learning about bed bugs with the material I suggested in earlier post.

At this time, the pest control industry doesn't have as effective tools/chemicals for bed bugs that we have for roaches, ants, termites, etc. That is why, at least for now, that these treatments are labor/chemical intensive. It will take time for much research and development.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote