Bats In The Attic - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bats in the attic

Well, we have bats in our attic. Not too sure how many. We have seen 2 adults, about 8 months apart. And we know there are bats (unknown amount) living there currently, as we have seen droppings accumulate. I have an old Victorian home with (I can only imagine) multiple ways of ingress/egress for them.

They have not come into my living space...yet and we only use the attic for storage so we've developed the attitude "live and let live". I know we need to exclude them, though. Does any one have a suggestion as to how? What products and techniques are best? Do bat houses placed outside help by giving them an alternative habitat? If so, how do you build one and where is the optimal location to place it?

I will say, we have an affection for animals and the ecosystem. I'd love to not harm them and provide them with an alternative home. Plus, they help keep bug populations down. Any advice would help!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Etrace0921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

Bats in the attic

I would spend the time to find out how there getting in.
No screen or broken screen on a gable vent. loose or rotted siding or fasha board?

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #3

Bats in the attic

http://www.eparks.org/wildlife_prote.../bat_house.asp
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bats in the attic

they have probably been living in your home for some time now,probably multiple generations,getting them to leave on their own is not going to be easy

just for a start go up in your attic during the day,turn off any lights and look around,if you can see day light your looking at a potential entry point

professional pest control may be your best bet,make sure they don't kill them,just get them out and seal up the entry points

this may take awhile
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
Etrace0921 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #5

Bats in the attic

Thanks for the link! There are some obvious entry points, including a small opening in a roof vent screen where they could enter but the last thing I want to do, as I have been reading, is close that up and prevent them from getting out and thus making their way into my living chambers in search of food escape. Anyway, thanks for the advice and keep it coming!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #6

Bats in the attic

All it takes is one loose piece of old siding for them to get in.
Just look at the sample plans I posted. Some have siding with spacers under the bottom to let them on.
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Etrace0921 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #7

Bats in the attic

Tom,

Have you had any experience with a pro? What is their usual method for getting the job done? Traps? Excluders?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #8

Bats in the attic

Also, what are your opinions on traps, or ultrasonic repellers?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bats in the attic

the best time to start is at dusk,you can find out their main entrance by waiting and seeing where they come out,then is the time to close off the entry point,but the problem is there may be more than one

pro's will go in with nets,i don't recommend you do that,they also have anti roost chemicals that will discourage them
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
Etrace0921 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
pest control operator

Rewards Points: 250

Bats in the attic

The ultrasonic repellers donít work at anything. The bat house will not relocate the bats. As long as your attic is appealing and accessible thatís where they will go. To not injure them you will need to wait for warmer weather before excluding them. What the bat pros do is to use a ďman-liftĒ, or cherry picker to get them up high. Install flaps or somesuch to act as a one-way flap or valve so they canít get back in. Then sealing, repairing takes place. This is expensive work. If you canít get them out on your own you may need to hire a bat pro. The colony will just get larger to the point of danger. On the other hand, you might get on the show ďInfestedĒ! My apologies for the untimely humor.

Tomís advice about looking for daylight in the attic is good. Iíve done this many times to show the homeowner what they had up there. I donít do bats, but Iíve been in plenty ofhouses that had bat issues. Iím not familiar with the anti-roost chemicals; would be good to learn of them. This will most likely be a multi-faceted approach. Keep us posted.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PAbugman For This Useful Post:
dougp23 (03-03-2012), Etrace0921 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

Bats in the attic

Call the Morton Arboretum in Lisle Illinois---ask for a naturalist---There is a 'bat rescue' group in this area that humainly removes bats --all volunteers--

The folks at the Morton Arboretum should have the name of that outfit---There might be another group like that in your area---The bat rescue people may have a name for you if there is one---
Etrace0921 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #12

Bats in the attic

Thanks so much!!! The weather is turning, and we are going to be painting our home this spring: a good opportunity to investigate modes of egress and ingress. I will probably consult this group from Lisle...I may even seek bids from bat excluders. If I can afford it, I will probably use them. If I can't...then wish me luck! Thanks again. I will keep you all updated!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,212

Bats in the attic

I'm pretty much for "live and let live," but NOT for bats in my house - there's a huge rabies problem where I live. We had eight or ten of them in the attic of our log home while we were still building it. They got trapped when I put in the soffits, and came into the living space. A .410 shotgun and birdshot took care of the problem in a hurry.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

Bats in the attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I'm pretty much for "live and let live," but NOT for bats in my house - there's a huge rabies problem where I live. We had eight or ten of them in the attic of our log home while we were still building it. They got trapped when I put in the soffits, and came into the living space. A .410 shotgun and birdshot took care of the problem in a hurry.

You have style---and rabid bats are a serious problem in some areas.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,212

Bats in the attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You have style---and rabid bats are a serious problem in some areas.
Thanks. I first tried .22 shot shell in one of my pistols, but it mostly bounced off the logs. Wouldn't recommend my solution in a house with drywall.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-03-2012)