DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ants Ants and more Ants

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Wanttodoitright 
#1 ·
So the 5 months of snow free living are coming up quickly for me where I live. I've only lived in my house for one summer so far, and last year the number of Ants were overwhelming. The ants fortunately are only outside so far, which is great. However you can't walk up the front walk without stepping on 3 dozen, and they seem to have a set up a metropolis on my front lawn with a super highway up the large Linden. I'm fairly confident that they're trying to convert the entire front lawn into a sandbox. I've tried ant spikes, borax syrup and of course stepping on them.
Does anyone have an suggestions on how I can keep the population down this year? Some preventative measures. Thanks.

#2 ·
If at all fea$ible, hire an exterminator! I was reluctant to do anything about my ant problem until one night last summer when my previously 'outdoor' ants moved in. During the night they hatched out, swarming all over the house.

I spent the night re-living some childhood nightmares; first thing the next morning I called an exterminator. I went with a mid-sized, local, outfit with a good guarantee who was responsive to my concerns regarding my pets. Before I hired them I was under the impression that Dale Gribble would show up to my house and poison my dogs.

- Yes, it is a scam to get you on a service contract. However, it is worth every penny. They eliminated my ants, roaches, house beetles, ladybugs (not so cute in the 100s), spiders, and even mice.

- When I found a massive yellow jacket nest during the demolition for my DIY project they came out within 24 hours and sprayed/removed it for free.

- They did one of my quarterly sprays in Feb. Since it's warmed up here on the Eastern Shore of MD, I've spotted one or two in my kitchen. All I have to do is call them and they'll come out to spray for free.

My exterminator is one of the few instances of not only feeling like I get my money's worth; but I might even get more than my money's worth. Hmm. Maybe I should tip the guy.:whistling2:

#10 ·
My wife insisted on an exterminator. And a service contract.

After a couple of swift, failed attempts to control our problem, I reluctantly agreed.

When we still had ants after the first application (outside application), they came back for free and used a stronger concentrate, along with doing a couple of rooms in the house that were problematic.

It rained, and they showed up out of the blue to put some pellets down in case the rain washed away the first application. Again - no charge!

In the end, I couldn't be happier.........because she is happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.