Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

Ant invasion

Hi,

I've been battling ants for about 5 days now. I started using a product called "Terro" because people have sworn by it. The first time I set the baits out, it attracted ants (about 30 ants) within the first 2 hours. Within 30 hrs, the place where the baits were stationed were swarming with ants. By 45-50 hours into it, it dwindled down to 2-3 ants wandering about. I thought to myself, THANKS TERRO!!1 Until...within 12 hours (I continued to leave the bait out) the place was swarming with ants AGAIN!

What's going on? Well, this is the 5th day and this is like the 3rd wave of ants. What's even more interesting is, although the ants are taking the bait in the liquid borax bait stations, there's a congregation of ants (about 30-40) just resting there (right next to the bait but not taking it) as if they're socializing. Why? What's going on?

Also, how much longer until the ants finally die off? By the way, the ants are coming through a tiny hole in the wall by the side of my window in my home. When should I seal off this hole? One last thing, these are ARGENTINE ants. Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
KingAnt

KingAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
bbo

Ant invasion

there is a good terro faq on some of your questions.

http://www.terro.com/faq-ants.php

personally, i'd wait at least a week before giving up. you might also want to do the outdoor granules or bait stations to keep them from coming back in.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #3

Ant invasion

That website was actually the first place I went to for answers. Unfortunately, the faqs didn't quite help. The site didn't answer why the ants seemed to have taken the bait, died out, and have returned for the 3rd time (3rd wave). Or when should I seal the hole in the wall? A day after the ants have died out? A week? Or if the reason why the ants are congregating NEXT to the bait and not taking it is because they're nesting, will they eventually take the bait? The site also NEVER replies to your questions.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
bbo

Ant invasion

I would seal any means of entry right away. Do the outdoor granules or bait stations too. Keep feeding the indoor ants a long as you see them.remove dead piles of ants and make sure the live ones have bait available. Dont kill any live ants though.you are using them to bring the bait back to their colony.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #5

Ant invasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
I would seal any means of entry right away. Do the outdoor granules or bait stations too. Keep feeding the indoor ants a long as you see them.remove dead piles of ants and make sure the live ones have bait available. Dont kill any live ants though.you are using them to bring the bait back to their colony.
The reason I dread sealing the tiny hole where the ants are coming from is because they might be nesting in the walls. The colonies and their multiple queens are probably breeding there. If I seal the hole, then the ants may continue to breed in the walls, or below my home where there's a crawl space of 3 feet.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #6

Ant invasion

The fact that the ants are swarming around your bait is probably a good thing. I think the general idea is that these ants will bring the poison back to their nests eventually killing the queen. I'd probably wait with sealing up the house for the exact reason you mentioned. I would leave the bait out a bit longer, and maybe supplement with a few more around your house if needed. I was battling ants earlier this summer, and I had ants dropping dead up to a month after I first set the baits. If you seal up the entry point the ants will no longer be able to come out and get the bait.
LVDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #7

Ant invasion

Ok, I wanted to break this down to exactly how this is going. First week, plenty of ants were attracted to Terro, then disappeared or dwindled down to 2-3 ants. They showed up again, this time more than last time. Disappeared or dwindled down to 3-4 ants again. Now this is the third time. More ants than ever before, it's like they're getting stronger. What's going on? Here's a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Ant invasion-p1010083.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
bbo

Ant invasion

I've never heard of leaving entry points sealed to "get every last pest". I have heard of leaving them open to let pests out, but ants?

I would keep the bait there (fresh bait) also put granules or or outdoor bait stations outside, and definitely seal ingress methods. keep in mind your window screen area probably has weep holes that need to left open.

have you done anything outdoor?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #9

Ant invasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
I've never heard of leaving entry points sealed to "get every last pest". I have heard of leaving them open to let pests out, but ants?

I would keep the bait there (fresh bait) also put granules or or outdoor bait stations outside, and definitely seal ingress methods. keep in mind your window screen area probably has weep holes that need to left open.

have you done anything outdoor?
I called the property owner and they were suppose to send someone over to spread ant dust in the crawl space below my home. He never showed up. I sprayed the outside with insecticide around my home. The ants are continuing to come through that one tiny hole in the wall. I even asked an "ant expert" and explained my problem. He directed me to this response he gave someone, and needless to say, it made matters worse.

http://www.antweb.org/antblog/2012/0...se-ca-usa.html

In the post, she's been battling the same type of ants as me (argentine ants) and have been doing so for months. She said she used Terro and they keep taking the bait and never stop.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
bbo

Ant invasion

here is a "homemade" remedy you might want to try. it does look like they also place these outdoors.

http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/ants/

*edit*
http://www.orkin.com/ants/argentine-ant/

I would use many more bait stations all around the house. in and out. Sounds like these mega colonies can be quite expansive.

Last edited by bbo; 08-29-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #11

Ant invasion

The number of ants were beyond numerous this time around. The baits were literally stuffed with ants to where they couldn't move. They drowned themselves in the liquid baits. I couldn't take it anymore and got the pest control dude to take care of it. He told me that baiting them is a waste of time and that Terro liquid bait will only continue to attract these "argentine ants" FOREVER. Even the Terro website states that argentine ants are "nearly impossible" to get under control. The pest dude told me that they were nesting in the walls and even if I tried to find out what cracks they were coming through from the outside, I would go insane. He said that there are sub colonies and hundreds of queens, and that there's a MEGA colony of these ants that run all the way from California to Mexico. Anyway, he treated the area and the ants are supposed to die out within a weak. We'll see about that.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #12

Ant invasion

I'm looking at the services that was done on my home and the products that were used were:CYZMIC .015% (interior)TERMIDOR SC .06% (exterior)Wow, what is this? Hopefully this will keep the ants out for a while.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
bbo

Ant invasion

just googling them sounds like they work reasonably well.

keep us posted. there are other things as well you can purchase as diy to control them outside.

those argentine ants sound like a pia to control.

transport ghp sounds like a great product. according the the manufacturer of course.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #14

Ant invasion

Unfreakingbelievable!!!! There are a pile of dead ants on the windowsill where the baits were. The pest control dude obviously treated that area. But to my disbelief, there's one worker ant and queen ant clinging to life. The antennaes on the queen ant are still moving as she's fighting to stay alive. Either the pest control dude didn't do a good job or that's just the way it is. That queen ant better not come back to life.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #15

Ant invasion

Ive had the occasional ant problem during the warm summer months, and it seems like there are times of the day when the ants prefer to come out to feed.

My solution was to not over-analyzing whats going on. in the end the ant baits did their job

timmy-otoole is offline   Reply With Quote