Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Would this look weird?

In my bathroom, I just installed a large mirror over the sink/toilet. There were previously two mirrored medicine cabinets there, and the idea was to move them to the opposite wall once the mirror went up.

So, the mirror's up now, and I am about to install the mirrored medicine cabinets on the opposite wall, but realized something - it will create that 'infinity effect' (where you'll see yourself X infinity because of the two mirrors). I never even thought of that, I just thought it'd be cool to be able to see the back of your head w/o having to get a handheld mirror, and now right before the installation, I'm starting to think the infinity effect may make it look a little weird.

Any thoughts on this? I attached pics of the medicine cabinets when they were in the wall above the toilet/sink, and pics of the current mirror that's in that spot now.
Attached Thumbnails
Would this look weird?-medicine-cabinet-mirrors-original-spot.jpg   Would this look weird?-new-mirror-where-old-medicine-cabinets-were.jpg  

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #2

Would this look weird?

It would be wierd, but cool at the same time... I personally wouldn't install it though...

slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #3

Would this look weird?

AHhhhh!! I'm sooo torn! I'm gonna prep the medicine cabinets (they're all rusted on the inside, so need some heavy sanding and primer before I can even contemplate re-installing), I'll think about it more. I really like the idea of being able to have a mirror in front / behind you simultaneously, it just seems really cool, but it will have the infinity effect no matter what... guess I'm just wondering how dramatic it will be, I don't want it to seem like a circus attraction / house of mirrors when you need to go to the bathroom!! I work solo here, at some point I'll be able to have someone hold them in place where they'd be mounted and we can see how bad the effect is!
The Following User Says Thank You to joeyboy For This Useful Post:
lamonique (03-10-2014)
Old 08-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #4

Would this look weird?

The other thing is that if the room in not perfectly square, the infinity effect will angle and curve off, that would also make it even more strange...
Old 08-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #5

Would this look weird?

Room's definitely not a perfect square (although I thought that was pretty normal? Especially in older places like mine!).

Gonna have to have someone hold them in place and check it out, don't want to do this project to find that I hate the result!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #6

Would this look weird?

Most aren't perfect squares, I was just stating the obvious...
Old 09-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
jkchapp2

Would this look weird?

First of all, do you need both medicine cabinets??? Is there enough room between the corner and the light switch, to install your left-hinged cabinet. When you want to see the back of you head, open medicine cabinet door to the right angle. Just a suggestion.
jkchapp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #8

Would this look weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchapp2 View Post
First of all, do you need both medicine cabinets??? Is there enough room between the corner and the light switch, to install your left-hinged cabinet. When you want to see the back of you head, open medicine cabinet door to the right angle. Just a suggestion.
I was thinking of putting one there (and the other on the wall behind the door, or maybe just not up at all). It does fit there (technically), and actually it can open either way left or right depending upon placement. The only problem is there's a stud going right through where it would go there, so I'd need to cut the stud, which means bracing that stud some other way, and I think that's a bit beyond my skill level....
Old 10-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #9

Would this look weird?

Joey- a thought and a question.

I'm a nubie. I can't help you with your dilemma, but I'm sort of doing something similar. Hanging a mirror like the one you have just done (please tell me how you did it- spare no info). That's 1 question.

Then I'm going to put up a mirrored bathroom cabinet too. (tell me how you did that too- spare no info- remember I'm a nubie). That's my second question.

I'm putting the cabinet on one of the walls to the side of the mirror for exactly that purpose- too see the back of my head. Here's the thing. You won't see the back of your head if both mirrors are facing each other exactly, because you will be standing in the way of the reflection. Does that make sense? If one of the mirrors is on a slight angle, then you will see the back of your head, just off to the side of your own reflection.

I'm putting the cabinet on the side wall (perpendicular to the main mirror, so when I open the door of the cabinet at the right angle I'll have the effect you are talking about.

Can you help me? And has my info been any help at all?

Tom
TommyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #10

Would this look weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
Joey- a thought and a question.

I'm a nubie. I can't help you with your dilemma, but I'm sort of doing something similar. Hanging a mirror like the one you have just done (please tell me how you did it- spare no info). That's 1 question.

Then I'm going to put up a mirrored bathroom cabinet too. (tell me how you did that too- spare no info- remember I'm a nubie). That's my second question.

I'm putting the cabinet on one of the walls to the side of the mirror for exactly that purpose- too see the back of my head. Here's the thing. You won't see the back of your head if both mirrors are facing each other exactly, because you will be standing in the way of the reflection. Does that make sense? If one of the mirrors is on a slight angle, then you will see the back of your head, just off to the side of your own reflection.

I'm putting the cabinet on the side wall (perpendicular to the main mirror, so when I open the door of the cabinet at the right angle I'll have the effect you are talking about.

Can you help me? And has my info been any help at all?

Tom
Well the mirrors I want to put up on the opposite wall are medicine cabinets so they'll open and allow whatever angles I want, I think I'm going to put one on the side wall and one directly across from the mirror, but outdoor projects have taken me away from that for the next couple weeks anyways.

About putting up the mirror, here's the link to what I did (if you search my username for threads started by me, most of them end up with pictures if they're project threads, I like pics of my work!). That said, I do want to beef up the bracing on it, I still check the brackets weekly to verify they're looking solid. I also plan to do something for the edges - partially to do away with the 'raw' look, but more so that I can put even more brackets on and just hide them with that plastic mirror trim stuff. But here's how that mirrror went up:
Running into difficulties installing bathroom mirror (pics of the nightmare incl.!)
(the first pics showed the two medicine cabinets already removed, those were just unscrewed, drywall cut to fit (home depot had small drywall scraps for under a buck and they fit fine!), I used general purpose drywall compound - and I didn't worry about how smooth it came out since it was to be covered!!!)
Old 10-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #11

Would this look weird?

Is my approach to removing these medicine cabinets right? (pic)
here's the thread of the original medicine cabinets and the removal/patch up (the only thing that wasn't real obvious here I think was that I had to use 'cleats' to get the drywall up, basically just installing a chunk of wood to the framing studs so there'd by something to screw the drywall into)
Old 10-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #12

Would this look weird?

for general help of others I figured I'd just put the link to the mirror install here too:
Running into difficulties installing bathroom mirror (pics of the nightmare incl.!)
Old 10-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #13

Would this look weird?

Hahaha -- I just did the same thing, but in reverse. I had a large mirror over the sink & toilet and needed the storage of a medicine cabinet. So I bought 2 42" long medicine cabinets and installed them over the sink & toilet and moved the large mirror to the back wall. I can now perfectly see the back of my head by opening the medicine cabinet doors!! I don't notice that infinity effect. I know what you mean, but if it's even there, I don't notice it. And I think if it is there in your bathroom, you learn to visually tune it out. I say go for it... the more mirrors, the more light you create and the bigger your bathroom appears.
inarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
duckluva1

Would this look weird?

Without a doubt, go for more mirrors. Seeing the back of your head or your backside comes in handy rather than asking someone to 'take a look'.
I've seen the parallex view (infinity) and it doesnt look weird, seeing the back of my head coming out of the shower or my back if it been biten by bugs or a dog- priceless. I live alone and wont go running out to the street asking "look for me" as long as I've mirrors that face each other somewhere in the house, Personally the best place is the bathroom where you shower and have ample lighting already in place to watch your own back,check for bites, cuts, scratches, by yourself.
duckluva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #15

Would this look weird?

pretty cool to me...two mirrors or more mirrors inside your bathroom...don't have to let somebody check your back or you don't have to turn around and check your back...pretty convenient on your part...i think i'm going to install one right now in my own bathroom

Kitchen sinks is offline   Reply With Quote