Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #1

Share |

Is it worthwhile to spend money on blinds?

Hi,

I just moved into my new condo. it has two bedrooms and one living room. all of them share the same wall which is full of windows. There are quite a lot of sunlight in the afternoon and there's another building in front of my patio. So I want to buy window blinds for all rooms.

The blocking building only block half of the mountain view so I want o have top-down and bottom-up blinds. The largest window is 125"x125" (3 of them in total). There are also 3 40"x125" window doors opening into the patio. The cheapest price I get is about $4600. That's not cheap at all.

Do you think it's worthwhile to spend this much money on blinds? Will that increase re-sale value? this is my first home so I'm not quite sure about the spending.

I can go for the basic bottom-up or left-right blinds which can save me some money but won't be a perfect design for my situation.

Any suggestion? Thanks!

soloboy365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Remodeler

I doubt you will recoup that money on resale. If you can afford it buy what you like.

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #3

Have you tried JC Penney's? They have good prices on window treatments.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...external|60441
ColorMyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #4

I did consider draperies. However the quotes I got from several dealers are similar to what they quote me for the blinds. Main reason is because of the big size of my windows (for example, living room, 213"x132" for drapery). For JCpenny, the max length they can do is 124".

Looks like the only way to lower the cost is to buy fabric myself in local store and sew them to my size. Then buy rods myself and customize them too. I'm not really good in that department so I'm considering hiring some professional.
soloboy365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #5

maybe you could post an ad on craigslist or something for a local sewing person to sew some drapes for you? Might be a way for you to save money, and someone else to make money.. There is a huge selection of fabrics at your local fabric store :-)
de_sjiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

The sad thing is that it is usually not cheaper to make them than to buy them cheaply. Costco has discounts on window treatments.

I've been in sticker shock for blinds for going on two years.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #7

Do you have small children, a cat or dog? If so, they can be a little rough on blinds sometimes.

fwiw
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #8

There is only one home-improvement project that adds net value:

Adding a second bath.

Any other kind of project do it because you want to do it and you're going to get the however many thousands of dollars of enjoyment out of it.

If you're doing the work yourself and you know the markets really well, then there are exceptions, but not too many.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
WindowTreatment Installer

Did you get a quote from a local shop at home retailer. That price is way too high. I Priced those sizes out online with the top down bottom up feature and came up with $2010. Check some online window treatment places, your get the same thing at about half the cost. Good Luck.
bobtheblindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #10

I have come to find that ultimately Drapes AND Blinds are what you want! (Sorry pocket book!)

There are also a bunch of great blinds out there that don't stop light from coming in, keep some privacy AND still allow you to enjoy the view (http://www.excelshades.com).

It's true that it will not add to your resell value, but it will help protect your furnishings and will add to a wonderful look and feel to the condo!

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 12-22-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: removed blog link - posting violation
DeMoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #11

I actually taught myself how to sew because of this iss-- old house with odd sized windows and custom blinds or drapes would have been a fortune. You can save money, but it does take time and effort. I would try a local seamstress to see what they charge. Perhaps do a few windows at a time, depending on how it would look.

Also, be careful of blinds if you have children, as they just had a big recall because kids got caught in the cords.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #12

You are so right Alison,

A good local seamstress is the answer if you can't sew (and will even direct you toward more affordable fabrics is she is a good one - don't be afraid to ask!)

Some blinds don't have those old fashioned cords - so don't be afraid to look and ask around!

Ask and keep on asking! A good motto to live by!
DeMoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #13

These drapes are long narrow canvas dropcloths purchased at HD for about $25 each.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it worthwhile to spend money on blinds?-img_0908-small-.jpg  

zircon is offline   Reply With Quote