Window Box Design - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Window Box Design

All -

Although this is not "interior design" per se, I believe this would be the correct place to post this. I wanted to get the view point of the crowd for the type of window box to place on my window, specifically the first floor window to the right of the front door (double window). Two questions:

What color - I think there may be three solid options: natural wood, white, or black.

Dimensions - do I do two boxes here? Or should I go with one long one? I was going to do a "colonial" style box with some detailed trim work, etc.

These are the listing pictures from a few years ago but the house in all material respects from the exterior is the same. They one they had on here was ripped off the first day b/c it was black with mold (natural wood) and had fake plants in them.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Advertisement

South Jersey - Camden County
tjbingha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 874

Window Box Design

Beautiful house and yard.I would go with one solid box.No reason to have a gap in the middle.I would consider having something built from a pvc material like Azek.No maintenance,rot or bug problem and has a grain that would match your siding.
Many designs on line for window planters.

Advertisement

mako1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Window Box Design

I can't quite tell but it looks like your front door is red? A red window box might go well. Add a pop of colour but still match what you having going on already.

Beautiful house!
WugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

Window Box Design

I also like the idea of a red window box, it would really make it pop with the white and black behind it! There is one thing you might to keep in mind with the size, though, (something I didn't realize until after I built mine) is how heavy will this thing weigh once it's filled. I don't think you could go wrong either way, but if it is going to be one long window box, make sure you have enough support in the middle. Those things can get really heavy after adding the soil. I would love to see your finished product once it's done! Good luck.
maw_7787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 680

Window Box Design

Another tip that's worked for me.
Make the box without a bottom.
Before making it go to any garden center, HD, Lowes, ECT. and buy a plastic rectangular flower pot and make your frame to fit it.
That will act as an insert that's not going to rot out and can be lifted out.
Make it out of a rot resistant wood like Cedar and using a solid tinted stain instead of paint will give you a trouble free box.
And yes you can still have it red or black.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 60

Window Box Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by WugLife View Post
I can't quite tell but it looks like your front door is red? A red window box might go well. Add a pop of colour but still match what you having going on already.

Beautiful house!
That's quite true! painting your door and windows with the same color creates a unified effect
alexdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 108

Window Box Design

It is a nice house. I will suggest you to have a large single window. You can select a wood colored window, it looks good and give your house a different look.

Advertisement

RobertCurry is offline   Reply With Quote