Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

White vs. Off White

I am building a new house and my new cabinets were recently installed. They are gorgeous!!! They are antiqued and glazed with dark stained corners. The are kind of an almond...off white color. I am having trouble picking out a trim color. I first thought that I would just go with basic white trim and molding around doors but I think it kind of clashes with my cabinets. Should I paint the trim and all interior doors off white to coordinate? I don't want to stain the trim and doors. HELP! I need to paint soon!

kristinnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 250

White vs. Off White

Can you take some pictures and post them? Maybe this would be better in the interior design section. What other colors are you working with (counter tops, floor, appliances, walls)? What style are you going for? What looks good through your eyes?

Paint is easy to change, but choosing the right colors can take a long time. Sometimes you have to make that mistake. Get some color swatches and tape them up, or get little sample cans of paint.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #3

White vs. Off White

I am using a medium toned wood floor and the wall are already painted a sage green color. The appliance will be stainless and the cabinet hardware is bronze.
kristinnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

White vs. Off White

I think your trim and doors are screaming for some deep burgundy myself, but that's me

I can suggest taking a little trip on over to www.benjaminmoore.com and delving into the color tools they have over there

Look for and Explore Color and Understanding Color, and then poke around the other areas over there

I find the articles over there very informative, without getting too "heavy" on the technical side
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:56 AM   #5
paint & wallpaper pro ;)

White vs. Off White

i agree, i think you'd be more certain if you use paint samples to see their effects. but personally i think you trims would look great if stained although that would take longer. goodluck! post pictures when your done painting them
rome778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

White vs. Off White

How about painting them a slightly darker or lighter version of the wall colour? My concern with white trim and off white cabinets is that you will need to be really careful lest the white make the off white look dirty. Staying with a colour avoids the whole problem.

Otherwise, if you heart is set on white, see if you can get a sample for the cupboards and take it with you to a paint store and have someone who knows their colours help you out.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #7

White vs. Off White

I agree to all that much better if you post sample picture so that we give you advice which color that may fit for that.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-14-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
globeldesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

White vs. Off White

These are from a basement we did about 3 years ago. I think the cabinets might be similar to what you are describing. We ended up using a high gloss oil in a bone color for the trim.

J
Attached Thumbnails
White vs. Off White-chambers2.jpg   White vs. Off White-chambers3.jpg   White vs. Off White-chambers1.jpg  

Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote