DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

White vs. Off White

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jay123 
#1 ·
I am building a new house and my new cabinets were recently installed. They are gorgeous!!! They are antiqued and glazed with dark stained corners. The are kind of an almond...off white color. I am having trouble picking out a trim color. I first thought that I would just go with basic white trim and molding around doors but I think it kind of clashes with my cabinets. Should I paint the trim and all interior doors off white to coordinate? I don't want to stain the trim and doors. HELP! I need to paint soon!

#2 ·
Can you take some pictures and post them? Maybe this would be better in the interior design section. What other colors are you working with (counter tops, floor, appliances, walls)? What style are you going for? What looks good through your eyes?

Paint is easy to change, but choosing the right colors can take a long time. Sometimes you have to make that mistake. Get some color swatches and tape them up, or get little sample cans of paint.

#4 ·
I think your trim and doors are screaming for some deep burgundy myself, but that's me

I can suggest taking a little trip on over to www.benjaminmoore.com and delving into the color tools they have over there

Look for and Explore Color and Understanding Color, and then poke around the other areas over there

I find the articles over there very informative, without getting too "heavy" on the technical side

#6 ·
How about painting them a slightly darker or lighter version of the wall colour? My concern with white trim and off white cabinets is that you will need to be really careful lest the white make the off white look dirty. Staying with a colour avoids the whole problem.

Otherwise, if you heart is set on white, see if you can get a sample for the cupboards and take it with you to a paint store and have someone who knows their colours help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.