Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #1

Share |

White Vinyl Windows with wood trim-hate it

Just purchased and installed 8 white vinyl windows with white interior against my better judgement because we have all wood trim and just as I thought, I hate it. Any suggestions on toning down the glare of the white vinyl?

melindajanczur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Hide em with window treatments? You will not get regular paint to stick to them. Rustoleum does make a plastic primer in liquid form you could try on a small section to see if it held. Krylon Fusion is for plastics and vinyl but as far as I know it only comes in spray cans so you would have to mask everything off well. Melamine paint might be a possibility but I have only heard of it being used for kitchens and baths in the home. I am not sure how any of these possibility will hold up to constant heat and light from the sun coming through the windows.

Last edited by user1007; 10-21-2009 at 10:19 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Newbie Bill

Change the trim to white?

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #4

yeah I would just put some nice window treatments over them and you won't really notice them as much

good luck
drillbitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #5

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the window treatments for now, less complicated and maybe they will grow on me
melindajanczur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #6

A trick I learned about interior decorating is to let the eye focus on something else. In other words, rather than trying to re-do the vinyl windows, put something on the walls that will draw the eye away from the windows. Inexpensive but very exciting things to use are wall decals. I get mine from http://www.wallslicks.com. You might want to check out their site for a lot of design options, colors, sizes, etc. These decals have a matte finish so they blend right into the wall and look like the design was painted on by a professional. You'll get a very classy look to your room, and no one (not even you!) will be looking at the windows.

lvdecor is offline   Reply With Quote