What You Think Of My Room Layout? - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What you think of my room layout?

We just built a brand new house and finally have my own room to decorate. My room isn't large nor really small.

But here's what I came up so far with my room layout below.

Am I trying too hard to fit everything in this room? Or should I go the traditional route for a bedroom and have all the furniture's to the side of the walls? My favorite part is the sofa and tv in it's own little corner, sort of like a mini entertainment area. I will also be adding shelf's around the room and furniture's from Ikea.

What do you think of this layout and ways to improve it. Thank you.

BTW, I have no skills in decorating a room, so bare with me

Picture of my room layout

Advertisement

AdoptAYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #2

Hi, I really like the way you've split the room up into different zones, like a "living room" with the sofa and TV, and even an "office" with the desk and bookshelf. I'd get a carpet and center it under the coffee table in the lower left to really visually anchor that division of space. Is this drawing a sketch or is it to scale? For example, the sofa and closet look quite small relative to the size of the bed and the door. From how it looks now, I'd probably get rid of the bedside table and push the bed up against the wall (you can use a shelf on the bookcase for alarm clock and stuff) to open up some floor space. Especially if you're living there alone, if you always share the bed with someone it can be annoying to have one side of the bed up against a wall. Also, get rid of that coffee table by the door. Depending on which way the door opens you'll either be walking into it or it will obstruct the door.

Advertisement

vkaft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vkaft For This Useful Post:
AdoptAYoshi (12-11-2010)
Old 12-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaft View Post
Hi, I really like the way you've split the room up into different zones, like a "living room" with the sofa and TV, and even an "office" with the desk and bookshelf. I'd get a carpet and center it under the coffee table in the lower left to really visually anchor that division of space. Is this drawing a sketch or is it to scale? For example, the sofa and closet look quite small relative to the size of the bed and the door. From how it looks now, I'd probably get rid of the bedside table and push the bed up against the wall (you can use a shelf on the bookcase for alarm clock and stuff) to open up some floor space. Especially if you're living there alone, if you always share the bed with someone it can be annoying to have one side of the bed up against a wall. Also, get rid of that coffee table by the door. Depending on which way the door opens you'll either be walking into it or it will obstruct the door.

Yes, this is a sketch as I don't have the time to measure everything so some stuff will be lop sided.

I will remove the coffee table as I wasn't thinking about the door at the time and the rug/carpet is a great idea, will definitely do that.

As far as the bed being next to the wall, I tried that in my previous bedroom and always had a bad habit of dropping things on the side of my bed which meant lifting the whole mattress in my Hulk Hogan T-shirt. Also, having to change the sheet is a tough task. So I'll stick with it currently location for now.

Thank you for the advice vcaft.
AdoptAYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Sorry, but I think your scale is way off and it probably wont work quite like you're picturing.

Have you ever used Google sketchup? Its free, easy & intuitive, there are many free guides (& youtube videos) and rather than measuring every piece, you can download pre-made "components" (beds, sofas... including almost every ikea product they offer) that will allow you to feel it out before committing or making any purchases.
Nick DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

You really do need to pay this out with actual dimensions being used. Not only is it critical in determining what will fit where, it will also allow you to determine the spacing between items.

As it stands in your picture, it looks like the door will hit the bed before it is fully open.

while a lot of folks tend to like the computer graphics stuff, I find there is little any easier than simply laying out the room on a piece of graph paper and actually making paper cutouts of the various furnishings. It is very easy to move them around to try out myriad variations with little effort or time.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I also like the way you're dividing the room into sections. But I don't think the bed should be facing directly to the door. It's bad feng shui. I am not an expert on feng shui, it is just what I have believed. If you believe in FS, maybe you would want to research on that also.
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

That's a nice layout. Since you have to put everything in just one room be minimalistic. I would get rid of one table or I would get a really big and tall book shelf to divide your bedroom and living room area.
Sandra20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

I am confused, you just built a new house and yet it looks as if you are trying to live in a bedroom? By shear comparison, the closet is way way too small for any woman I know at least, a guy maybe, a typical woman couldn't fit her shoes in the space you are allotting,
Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
I am confused, you just built a new house and yet it looks as if you are trying to live in a bedroom? By shear comparison, the closet is way way too small for any woman I know at least, a guy maybe, a typical woman couldn't fit her shoes in the space you are allotting,
I suspect that Mom and Dad actually built the house...
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #10

Why do you need 3 tables in the same room? I think you should leave more free space.
BrendaSimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Dytecture

Rewards Points: 75

The only thing I would suggest is the bed being the first thing a person sees when they come in ... perhaps you can try reversing the layout ?

Advertisement

dytecture is offline   Reply With Quote