Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

Share |

What to do with Master Bedroom? Pics!

I've been living in this master bedroom for 4 years and have yet to paint the walls or do any decorating. Please excuse the messy pic, as I just returned from the Caribbean and am still unpacking (it was 85 degrees and beautiful).

My initial idea was to use Armstrong Woodhaven ceiling planks on the vaulted ceiling, paint the walls, paint the long plank going down the middle of the ceiling, replace the ceiling fan, and if needed replace all the trim on the baseboard and windows with something more contemporary (I'd like to shoot some spray foam in around the windows anyway).

Additional decorating would involve end tables, lamps, something on the walls, etc.

Here's a link to the ceiling planks:
http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na...ollection.html

I'd like the room to be contemporary with a feel of warm and comfort. My first thoughts were either white or rustic pine on the ceiling, with white trim work, and a light beige paint on the wall with taller white baseboard. Probably a dark ceiling fan. I am no designer so please provide all the input you can. I am open to anything and everything! Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with Master Bedroom? Pics!-2012-01-30-23.10.04.jpg  
wrango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Dytecture

Sounds like you have a good plan for what to do, I think it will look fantastic !
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with Master Bedroom? Pics!-vaulted-ceiling.jpg  
dytecture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

Thank you for the replies so far. I don't know how to pick a theme. I want it inviting, comfortable, warm, cozy.. all that stuff that a bedroom should be.

Can anyone provide insight on the ceiling color and wall/trim colors?

I really want to start this project (within a week) and will probably begin with the ceiling.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Our ceiling is paneled and it makes the house so dark I'd hesitate to do the ceiling unless you have a huge room with tons of light.
Instead, what about a HUGE headboard, six feet tall, on that wall as a focus. It doesn't have to be a traditional headboard attached to the bed. It can be mounted on the wall and made out of just about anything. Even an awesome piece of artwork on that wall would work. I just see that wall as the main focus of the room.

Last edited by Blondesense; 02-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #5

Blondesense - Thanks for the input. I agree it could make the room look dark, but the white planks were also an option, which I believe would open up the room by adding definition to the ceiling.

I like your idea of putting something large on that wall. At one point I was looking at large decorative mirrors (like 10'x6'), but I abandoned that idea. Does that seem like a good idea to revisit, aside looking at head board options?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

When I need inspiration, I go steal it.

Have you tried Google Image? Type in something like "unusual headboard", "unique headboard", "weird headboard" and see if there is anything that grabs you.
You have a blank slate. I would definitely go outside the box.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #7

How big is this room? What kind of furniture are you planning on?
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote