Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

Share |

Wall Striping Color???

Hello All! I am new to the site but I have a quiestion regarding the color I should choose to paint stripes on my office wall. I want to do some fairly thick stripes but am not sure what color to go with. The kicker is that I have hunter green carpet. I am a boat broker down here in Florida and want to go with the "antique nautical theme." I am thinking navy stripes but just don't know. I'll try and post some pictures as soon as I can. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks so much.

sack17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wall Striping Color???

What other colors are part of the office---furniture, woodwork, doors, cabinets, draperies, blinds, etc.? How much and what kind of light do you have? Is your preference generally for light or dark values of color? What other rooms flow in and out of your office? What hangs on the wall---nautical charts, instruments, pictures of boats, etc.?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #3

Wall Striping Color???

Well the walls are white and I have quite a bit of natural light. I have one large window overlooking the water about 7.5' wide x 4.75' tall and 2 smaller windows about 2.5' wide x 5' tall with no blinds or anything now. I have some pictures on the wall now like some golf plaque's and a small shadow box of nautical knots and a shadow box of fly fishing flys. I have a black table with a flatscreen tv on it and some boat brochures but will probably paint it white. I just built a small white magazine table that is also a shadow box for my collegiate water ski team t-shirts. My desk is all glass (modern style) with 2 charcole colored chairs for clients to sit in that I am going to get re-covered with new fabric because I hate the color and they are just too plane for me and my taste. I am going to get 3 canvas's about 18"x24" with fairly large antique (gold) frames and have my initials AJC painted in the nautical alphabet on each canvas. So the main colors there would be white and royal blue with a little red, and of course the gold frames.

Would the navy blue be the right color to go with you think?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #4

Wall Striping Color???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
What other colors are part of the office---furniture, woodwork, doors, cabinets, draperies, blinds, etc.? How much and what kind of light do you have? Is your preference generally for light or dark values of color? What other rooms flow in and out of your office? What hangs on the wall---nautical charts, instruments, pictures of boats, etc.?

Basically it's a corner office that's at the end of the hallway. All the windows are naked. I personally have a fairly traditional style but there is quite a bit of natural light in here with the white walls and dark carpet am thinking a dark color to stripe with but I'm just thrown off by this hunter green carpet haha. Eventually I will have more nautical charts and instruments on the wall but as of now I don't have everything I was yet.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #5

Wall Striping Color???

Here are some pictures of my office as of now and the carpet...

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/s...albums/all-me/
Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #6

Wall Striping Color???

You should check some design/color websites for inspiration..
Cant really say what colors without being there, but ive seen nice results using analogous colors (similar shades...)

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

Wall Striping Color???

...anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #8

Wall Striping Color???

You have a lot of nice windows with a great view. You also said you were
going to put up nautiical maps etc..

The hunter green carpet is pretty and reflects a lot of the green outside.
So don't let it throw you off...

Maybe the striped walls would be too much, in competition with the
gorgeous view.

My suggestion is paint the walls a creamy white and put up shutters on the walls next to the windows.
Paint the shutters navy blue on the trim and the inside blue like the water...
or visa versa, in other words two tone the shutters in light
blue and navy blue. Paint the 'inside' of the window trim light blue to bring the inside in.
I think capitalizing on the view should be your objective.

sdsester is great at color coordinating, perhaps he'll help you with color
choices if you like my idea, if you don't, that's ok too!

Aye, Mate! good luck.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Stuck in the 70's

Wall Striping Color???

I'd go with a tan or beige. I think it would work with the green.

I'm generally not a fan of striped walls, but one thing I've seen, and I gotta say it looked pretty nice, was striping done with the same color, but two different finishes, say flat and semi-gloss. You can see the stripes, but it's not a in-your-face or hit-you-over-the-head with it effect.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wall Striping Color???

Let's make sure we are close to being on the same page. Please set your monitor to a color temperature of 6500K---the standard for viewing and evaluating color. There will be an automatic setting for this in SETTINGS.

I could not grab a clean pixel color of the carpet but can if you send me a clean shot of just it looking straight on to it and not at an angle.

Anyhow, I think for your situation and given the Hunter Green carpet, an analagous color scheme would work out well. Analagous colors are those next to each other on a color wheel. I can build that color wheel for you when I can get the pixel color from the carpet.

Here is the general idea though with two palettes that should work nicely. I would use the more subtle colors for the striping and the darker blue green for upholstery, ceiling color and other accents. Your split complimentary colors to add would be in the red orange range which your knots, wooden frames, nautical things should fit? Page shown is from the "Color Harmony Workbook", a fave reference of mine.

Let me know if this is what you had in mind. If I am close do post a photo of the carpet and I will tweak things and even kick out paint codes and names for you if you would like. I will show you the hues in different tints and shades too. Takes me but seconds. I would definitely not ruin what you have with beige! Happy to order you some large paint swatches too if you would like.

By the way, you can make the stripes pop by picking close colors and just changing sheens.

Last edited by user1007; 02-07-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added Images
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #11

Wall Striping Color???

I would pick one of the beiges or light oranges out of that "Vision" painting and go with that.
conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #12

Wall Striping Color???

Thank you all for the input that eally does help a ton. You all extremely knowledgable and I would def be as lost as an easter egg without that information. I've posted a new picture of the carpet in my album. (Haven't figured out how to actually put the pic in the post tho) The shutters idea is great I actually did that in our bedroom at home. I'll post that pic when I get home. I made them out of some scrap wood from a pallet. But the window I put them on was a small window. Do you think I should make them out of just fence panel?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #13

Wall Striping Color???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sack17 View Post
Thank you all for the input that eally does help a ton. You all extremely knowledgable and I would def be as lost as an easter egg without that information. I've posted a new picture of the carpet in my album. (Haven't figured out how to actually put the pic in the post tho) The shutters idea is great I actually did that in our bedroom at home. I'll post that pic when I get home. I made them out of some scrap wood from a pallet. But the window I put them on was a small window. Do you think I should make them out of just fence panel?
what is fence panel? The first thing I thought was shutters, cause you said you wanted an antique nautical theme...shutters on windows are 'old'
so if fence material is 'old' that would be good and fitting with the theme you want.
The navy on the outside frame of the shutter
and a lighter blue for the inside of the shutter would be nice, and the inside
of the window frame with an even lighter blue to 'mimic' the water.

The samples sdsester posted are lovely, you can't go wrong choosing
from there.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #14

Wall Striping Color???

Interior shutters like these?...I made these for our bedroom out of some extra wood from a pallet. Sorry for the glare from the lamp.

Last edited by sack17; 02-11-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #15

Wall Striping Color???

Yes, they look nice, I love using old wood that was once something else.
I would run it through a planer first and sand it as well...

I found this minwax colored stains.... look at the wonderful colors
you can stain the shutters...

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/

there are two wonderful colors Emerald and Indigo in the express
stains (all the way down) and also look at the
colors in the water based
stains, such as the ones on the bottom right,
early spring, verdigris, island water, and deep ocean.