Wall Mounted AV Shelves - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wall Mounted AV Shelves

Hello,

I just joined this neat website to get an answer to a question.
I am looking to mount all my AV equipment (Receiver + GoogleTv Box + CableTV Box) onto wall mounted shelves.

I looked at some mounts online and realized they are mind bogglingly expensive so Im thinking this is something I should make a home improvement project.
I am looking to build a 3-shelved system. I have figured out where the studs are on the wall and it gives way for a nice install. However finding the right set of materials is the problem.

I would like for the mounts to seem as low profile as possible. Have a look at this for example.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89870335/

That example is low profile (however the wood needed to mount the shelf is too thick). I liked the design of this particular shelf (except it isn't deep enough). Instead of the mount itself being so wide, I was thinking of using such mounts which are thinner and using tempered glass instead of wood.

Is this something that is possible.
I can pick up the temepered glass from IKEA on the cheap (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...646/#/20142659). However I need the supporting wall mounts. This is why I came here hoping someone has an idea of what I want to do and knows where I need to go to buy it.

Also I can possible use good quality suction cup to hold the tempered glass onto the supporting rails of the mount rather than these slide ins (as pictured in the ikea mount).

Please give me some ideas.

The biggest equipment is the YAMAHA Receiver which weighs in at about 18-19 pounds and is about 17.5 inches (width) x 14.5 inches (depth).

Thanks.
Chirag

Advertisement

Last edited by cchhat01; 04-18-2012 at 04:01 PM.
cchhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,308

Wall Mounted AV Shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchhat01 View Post
...finding the right set of materials is the problem.
Well it sure is an important problem.

Here's an idea I like:
Kitchen wall cabinets (mounted to the wall but set low)
Plywood with Formica shelf (mounted to/thru cabinets)
Done.

Hth

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Wall Mounted AV Shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Well it sure is an important problem.

Here's an idea I like:
Kitchen wall cabinets (mounted to the wall but set low)
Plywood with Formica shelf (mounted to/thru cabinets)
Done.

Hth
Thanks for the suggestion but thats not really what I had in mind. I want to leave this AV shelf unit open and not have it enclosed within a cabinet like structure.

Basically, I'm trying to find out if the product i described in my original post or something similar to it, exists so that I can i throw in a nice tempered glass on it and make it a shelf.

Thanks again
Chirag
cchhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote