Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wall color with moulding

Hi: I have a long wall in the living room which leads into the dining room. I have installed chair rail which looks great. I would like to add frame moulding on the lower part, but here is the question. I want the room to look taller (8') rather than so long. I have a buttery beige on top and was going to put flat darker gold on the lower and then have the boxes the same color in semi gloss. Does that make sense? Or should the darker color go on top and make the lighter on the lower?

thanks!

terrimomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

wall color with moulding

Light colors certainly open a room up and make it feel bigger. To achieve the height effect you want, you want the lighter color on top. Going darker on top will appear to shorten the room. Also, note what furniture you have in that area. Big, dark furniture will tend to weigh the room down. If this is the case, consider using lighter furniture in that area, or, minimalizing the furniture along that wall all together. As far as the molding you would like to install, using the same color in a higher sheen will add a nice, subtle architectural detail.

Hope that helps,
Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/

sharpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

wall color with moulding

thanks, Rick: That is what I thought, but I can get disuaded by other information. My furniture is light, so this should work just great.

Terri
terrimomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote