Vaulted Ceiling Lighting Question. - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Fire Fighter-

Rewards Points: 75

vaulted ceiling lighting question.

This is a very strange question but, I have vaulted ceilings and I want to just light up the ceiling so the room has a VERY VERY dim light.. when you look up at the ceiling it has a glow type affect to it. Attached a picture to show you how my room is setup. I do not want spot lights I was thinking of LED light strips or something. Please give me your best advice. Thank you in advance.

PS. Possiably a mood lighting. ..

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-13-2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Advertising Link Removed
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

There are great lighting options available where you can control the intensity of light with a remote or regulator. You can have them on the wooden beam facing upwards, and use the intensity to create whatever mood you would like. You can also have different colored lights to create the mood you want. I have seen this kind of light used in places which they keep bright on regular days and use the dim colored light effects to create a lounge like ambience when entertaining guests etc.

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-13-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Advertising Link Removed
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
J.O.A.T, Master of N.

We installed rope lighting on the perimeter of our living/dining room. It is hidden on top of a beam 3' from the ceiling on the high part of our ceiling (which is 17' from the floor) and it puts a nice indirect light on the white ceiling. The outside wall(the low end of our ceiling) has a beam sticking out about 2" from the wall and the rope is on top of that. It lights up a good portion of the ceiling area ajacent to it, too. We call it our "Love Lights"
I put a thumb switch (like on a hanging lamp) on the cord that runs down the wall at the end of these runs. Each run is 32 ft. long.

I hope that gives you some ideas. From your picture, I'd say put some nice crown molding around the top of your paneling and install the rope light there....just a suggestion!

Last edited by w7oxo; 01-10-2008 at 12:50 AM.
w7oxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Fire Fighter-

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7oxo View Post
We installed rope lighting on the perimeter of our living/dining room. It is hidden on top of a beam 3' from the ceiling on the high part of our ceiling (which is 17' from the floor) and it puts a nice indirect light on the white ceiling. The outside wall(the low end of our ceiling) has a beam sticking out about 2" from the wall and the rope is on top of that. It lights up a good portion of the ceiling area ajacent to it, too. We call it our "Love Lights"
I put a thumb switch (like on a hanging lamp) on the cord that runs down the wall at the end of these runs. Each run is 32 ft. long.

I hope that gives you some ideas. From your picture, I'd say put some nice crown molding around the top of your paneling and install the rope light there....just a suggestion!
very much appreciated!! do you remember where you got them from?? Did you buy the LED rope lights?

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-13-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Advertising Link Removed
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
J.O.A.T, Master of N.

We bought the lights at Lowes. They come in various lengths and you can cut them to fit. They were really pretty inexpensive. I made the connection out of 16 ga. lamp cord long enough to reach a plug near the corner of the room. the My son-in-law puts them in the coffered ceiling trays in entries, dining rooms, etc., in high-dollar homes he builds, too. They just put a switched receptacle where it can't be seen and plug in the rope.
w7oxo is offline   Reply With Quote