DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Using same tile for bathroom and kitchen too Matchy-Matchy?

28K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  redrover 
#1 ·
So I posted this in the wrong section in "Flooring" So I moved my question here.

Hello I'm doing a downstairs bathroom/laundry room remodel and replacing the floors in the kitchen. My bathroom and laundry room together are roughly 55 square feet and the kitchen is around 88 square feet. Originally I was thinking of doing 18x18in tiles in both rooms but I taped off what 18's would look like in the bathroom and I wasn't sure if the big tiles would make the room look smaller, What do you think, will it make the room look smaller?

I taped off 18" in the kitchen too:

Here is a 12" and a 18" for comparison. (I'm not using the bottom tile because it doesn't have the finish I like I just picked it up for size reference.)

So I was thinking of doing the 18" tile in the kitchen and 12" in the bathroom of the same tile(the top one). Is this too matchy-matchy to use the same tile in the two rooms? Another thing is, my mom thinks that I should do a 12" tile in both rooms just to make it look more consistent, but im afraid the 12" will look too busy in the kitchen.

So I guess im looking for second opinions:
-18" for both rooms,
-13" for both rooms,
-18" for kitchen & 13" for bathroom using same tiles,
-or 18" for kitchen & 13" for bathroom using different tiles?
We are ultimately looking to rent/sell the condo so I need to know what people's opinions are on this. Thank you so much for reading! :)

See less See more
#8 ·
I would use the same. Better flow.

I like the look of the 18 inch, but if I were doing it myself I would go with a 12 or 13 inch because they are a bit more forgiving to install. If you use a matching grout I don't think it will make a huge visual difference.

(And I know you didn't ask this, but it appears you are going from vinyl to a tile so be sure your subfloor is adequate.)

#11 ·
my take on tile

My home is 1 complete half sq ft main floor the same tile and with relatively open floor plan aesthetically flows. Entry R into Kitchen flowing into Dining and L down hall, passing main bath and laundry with same tile with Living and den same color(ish) carpet. Master bath has no door, same white carpet becomes same tile passing closets into bath. I didn't do it but think it was a great idea using the same tile. Means purchasing and storing less overage for oops's and repair, very smart. But on the other hand…

From the photos your spaces appear small and unless chosen tile very dark like the hallway pictured, are abrupt transitions and room delineations. Two completely separate rooms/spaces with the same tile I would notice, and seem matchy matchy. Chosen for convenience, perhaps randomly and in fact imply lack of inspiration. I think aesthetics better served by going with separation of space, each flooring unique with unique room atmosphere.

The bath on a diagonal is creating a great deal of work for yourself with the effort lost (and perhaps too busy) in that teensy space. Great idea with visual tile samples and tape, gotta remember that. To me the smaller tile is clearly more proportionate for the space. (I wonder what mosaic would look like?)
I am a big fan of divergence however and perhaps the kitchen on diagonal would open it more visually (it appears quite cramped) and worth the extra work to cut.

Just my thoughts, I do tend to be conversely opinionated. J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.