Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

Share |

Unique Chair Rail Obstacle

Greetings everyone. I'm hoping to harness the power of the forum to get a unique solution for a chair rail installation quirk.

I planned to install a chair rail at 36" up from the floor because that is the height of a waist high room divider (photo #1). However, I soon discovered that the 36" height conflicted with a wall vent (photo #2). At 36", the chair rail will run into the wall vent so that it is about half above the top of the vent and half below the top of the vent, which would require an odd break in the chair rail.

I see a couple of solutions, each with a drawback:

1) lower the chair rail so the top of the chair rail coincides with the top of the vent, allowing for a cleaner break in the chair rail. However, the chair rail will then not line up with the top of the room divider. Instead, it will sit a little below the top of the wall divider, and off center from the molding on the room divider.

2) raise the chair rail so it goes directly above the vent. However, the chair rail would then also go over the room divider.

FYI, I took off the vent, and it's not easy or practical to shift the vent down.

I'm leaning towards Option #1, but wanted to see if there were any other suggestions or potential solutions.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Unique Chair Rail Obstacle-photo-1.jpg   Unique Chair Rail Obstacle-photo-2.jpg  
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
DIY staff

Remove the vent---install the trim --lower the vent--???
Old 06-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

Can you whittle away the back of the chair rail so the vent will fit behind it? Maybe with a router, or by hand with a wood chisel?
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
Can you whittle away the back of the chair rail so the vent will fit behind it? Maybe with a router, or by hand with a wood chisel?
I second this solution. If you want the chair rail at that height, remove material from the back side of the chair rail so that you can go right over the edge of the vent.
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
KemoSabe

It looks like you'll need to transition the chair rail to go up the stairs, so make your transition at the vent.

Here's a few examples of transitions.
Attached Thumbnails
Unique Chair Rail Obstacle-001.jpg   Unique Chair Rail Obstacle-006.jpg   Unique Chair Rail Obstacle-007.jpg   Unique Chair Rail Obstacle-005.jpg   Unique Chair Rail Obstacle-077-1.jpg  

Unique Chair Rail Obstacle-082.jpg  

Last edited by loneframer; 06-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote