Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #1

Share |

Theme for rec room area

This is a separate room in our basement rec room. Our son is 9 years and he loves sports. I need help jn making this area enjoyable for him and his friends. I was thinking of making it a gaming room for the xbox 360, but we have that attached to our main tv in the rec room already.

We want this keep this space as open as possible. I could easily put a foosball or air hockey table in there, but it would make this area too cramped up.
Attached Thumbnails
Theme for rec room area-image-2768210567.jpg   Theme for rec room area-image-2639279271.jpg   Theme for rec room area-image-75972515.jpg   Theme for rec room area-image-1019167530.jpg  

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #2

Theme for rec room area

This is an interesting dillema. I can see the TV where I think the xbox is currently in one of the pictures so that kinda rules that out but the space screams TV, Movies, Video Games. If I was a kid, besides and air hockey, foosball, or pool I'm not too sure what else would go there.

walthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #3

Theme for rec room area

Hey there,

I'm Matt and I'm 19. I'm a big gamer, I use my xbox 360 a lot. I'm also a boxer and mixed martial artist in college, former football, lax, baseball, basketball and soccer player in high school. I'm also interested in making places look good.

I think a few years back if I was 9 and had a room to myself, I'd want it painted a different color than white, it'd signify that it's his space for him and his friends. Also, I think bean bag chairs are always a plus for any kid, that or gaming chairs. I think another idea would be a Wii in that room, but I'm unsure of the budget your on for this project. The great part about Wii is that it's something to play WITH friends... playing Wii games by yourself isn't as fun and it's really a family-type gaming system where it invites more than one player to enjoy the competitive experience. I'd suggest a lighter blue or a lighter green depending on what your son is into, if he likes the beach, maybe theme it around the beach, if he likes going outside and playing in the dirt, maybe go for a theme of jungle or woods or something. I remember themes from growing up, I had the buzz lightyear theme, the military theme, the sports theme, etc. There was almost always a new color and a new theme.

Just some suggestions and I hope they were helpful.
bakenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
Renovations contractor

Theme for rec room area

Following on the sporting theme; how about a giant wall mural depicting his favourite sport? You can also get foam padded flooring which goes together like a giant jigsaw puzzle ... Either in black or bright colours. Provides a safe space for boys being boys
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #5

Theme for rec room area

He Op,

Please update us with pics of what you finally decide, I'm sort of in the same situation that's why I'm interested in your solution. Themes are defintely the way to go. We use fatheads in our room, but we don't know what to put physically in that space.

Puzzle mats is a great idea. I will run that idea by the wife. They seem to be moderately priced.
walthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #6

Theme for rec room area

I'm still totally undecided. I guess some pictures or fatheads on the wall would be cool. I just don't want kids to rip em down since they cost $100.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #7

Theme for rec room area

Your biggest problem is that Green Bay Packers poster....
spaceman spif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #8

Theme for rec room area

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif
Your biggest problem is that Green Bay Packers poster....
Go Pack Go!