Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #1

Share |

Small home furniture/design

Hello, I'm shawn and I'm overwhelmed with the options I've read for decorating and designing and placement of furniture and kitchen cabinets, so I did I quick layout on an auto CAD program with some dimensions and how I thought the kitchen might work well with the small space. If anyone has any ideas or advice for the furniture placement I'd love to hear it. Details like whether I want a TV or not is still up in the air. I like contemporary but I'm very open. Thanks a ton. I uploaded some pics.

Oh ya, should I post a poll? whats that about.

Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
Small home furniture/design-shawsnshs.jpg   Small home furniture/design-rendred-overview2.jpg   Small home furniture/design-rendred-interior-view.jpg   Small home furniture/design-rendered-overview.jpg  

shawnsback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #2

You'll definitely want and need more counter top space.

Personally, if at all possible, I wouldn't have two exterior entryways into the kitchen the way this is set up. I would eliminate the smaller door (do you need 2 doorways on the back of the house?). That would allow you to use all of the space that is walled-off behind the stove and give you more room for cabinets and counter tops.

You don't show a door for the larger of the two bedrooms. That will make a difference in your furniture placement.

Last edited by gma2rjc; 12-27-2011 at 04:11 AM.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #3

Agree with gma2rjc that you don't need two doors at the back of your home, another option is to eliminate the sliding doors, change them to windows, make a L shaped kitchen by putting the sink under the windows, fridge next to the stone column, cook range between the two.

Last edited by Stephen S.; 12-27-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Stephen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

Thanks guys, someone elses perspective helps a lot thats for sure. Yeah gma2rjc, the sliding door in the kitchen isn't even there at the moment. right now it's just a small window that makes me feel i'm in jail. So I thought having a deck out there with a sliding door would make me feel a lot more open. Then again I don't have any proof that it would work out that well. Not to mention permits involved.

Thanks for the idea Stephen with that L shaped idea were you imagining a row of cabinets on the wall across from the stone pillar? I can imagine that entryway being cramped when someone was doing dishes. either way I'm gonna play around with those ideas thanks guys.

Shawn
shawnsback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #5

Having the slider door in the kitchen and a deck to walk out onto will take away that closed-in feeling that window gives you.

But having that slider right there will create a traffic flow through the kitchen that will make it difficult for anyone trying to cook.

Is it possible for you to extend the kitchen further into the living room? If you do that and eliminate that walled-off space behind the stove, you'll be able to move the stove back further from the refrigerator on the other side, creating a larger floor space. Having people walking through the kitchen to or from the slider won't be quite as much of an issue.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote