DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Small Frustrating Living Room - Layout Suggestions?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Willie T 
#1 ·
I moved into a small condo about 3 months ago and haven't done anything with the living room to speak of because it's just a really awkward space. I think the big problem is that every single corner has a pathway that comes into the living room - it's really hard to place furniture without blocking an entry. This probably wouldn't be as big a problem if the footprint were larger... but it's not. The room is probably about 15x18'.

My main goal is to make it a cozy place for a bunch of people to hang out. This is what I've got going right now. I've tried a bunch of variations; this is just the current one. It takes advantage of the meager wallspace for a loveseat and an armchair and it keeps the paths to/from the front door, stairs and kitchen entrances free. Problem is, there is really only enough seating for 3 people right now and anyone else is kind of on their own in a 'big' empty space.

This is something I'm usually pretty good at, but right now I'm just stumped. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Micah

See less See more
#2 ·
You could turn the loveseat and table 90* to face the kichen wall and add another loveseat where the current loveseat is. In a room like that all furniture should be in the middle of the room facing each other. Hope that helps. Also, it is sometimes easier in that room to have 3 chairs or loveseats racther than a sofa loveseat.

#3 ·
I can tell you simply by glancing at the drawing that your scales are all off. Grab the tape measure, and do some accurate rendering. This will make paper furniture shuffling a lot easier and more accurate. As it is shown there is too much guess work that probably won't work out in the real world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.