DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Should I add crown moulding to cabinets?

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  titanoman 
#1 ·
Throughout December, I plan to give the kitchen a nice facelift.

-Cabinets will be painted white/off-white
-Walls will get a nice new paint
-Track lighting to replace ceiling lights and pendant light over sink
-Replace 'recycled-air' hood fan with over-the-range black microwave
-Replace dishwasher with equivalent black one
-Replace all cabinet hardware
-New taller/stylish kitchen faucet
-4' island with overhung countertop for stool seating
-Possibly glass mosaic backsplash tile
-Possibly paint countertop with Rustoleum kit or Giani kit

ANYWAYS, my question is with our frameless cabinets, would crown moulding look good or bad? To install I would add 1x3 pine pieces to perimeter of cabinets (cabinet face not door face) and tack crown to the face of this piece. Thus, when the door is closed the crow would be flush with door and when the door is open, the crown would overhang the cabinet 'face' by approximately 3/4".

What do you guys think, to add crown or not, that is the question.

Our kitchen:

Inspirational photo:

See less See more
#4 ·
Fwiw...

.....I think crown mldgs. are very formal, they work best in living rooms or dining rooms..or kitchens that are really big. Otherwise, they look out of place and fussy.

I like the gen'l approach you're taking with the lights, etc, it's streamlined, and crown's will work against that overall look.

#5 ·
to crown to not to crown

I had this same problem, and I too, am doing my kitchen at this very moment! I have crown moulding, but also a transition piece between the cabinet and the moulding to allow room for flourescent uplighting on the tops of the cabinets. I hated it! What I did was look on the internet for ideas for a transition piece. I then went and purchase unfinished piece 8 feet long and taped it up onto the cabinet to see if i would like it. I am doing the rustoleum cabinet transformations, and found that it is as cheap as painting mine, without all the sanding and work. You may want to consider that instead of painting and save some time and headache. My suggestion is this. Go to your home improvement warehouse and purchase whatever it is you're considering. You can return un-used merchandise. Tack it up there with duct tape or whatever so you can get a true idea of what it will look like. An 8 foot section should give you enough idea to know what you want. Good luck and happy decorating!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.