Shaker Style Kitchen Cabinets - Need Advice - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

shaker style kitchen cabinets - need advice

Hey all,

My wife and I are considering a DIY cabinet upgrade. Currently we have builder-grade doors and drawer fronts and plan to remove them, and would like to replace with square-edged shaker style.

When looking online, the shaker style cabinets are typically such that all the doors and drawers sit immediately next to each other with no gaps. As such, 100% of the face of the cabinets is the doors/drawers.

Long story, but the construction of my present cabinets is such where the drawer faces and doors sit on top of the box, and there is 2-3 inches of gap/space from one to the next. If I replaced them with similar sized shaker doors, we wouldn't get that "flush face".

So - can I get basically the same sized drawers/doors as I have now, and fill in the gaps with MDF? The end result would be a flat/flush face to everything.

I just don't know if this is common, or would look strange.

I've worked with MFD a lot - did wainscoating in my whole basement. But these are kitchen cabinets. MDF is a bit like cardboard in that the edges seem to suck up paint.

Plus, if I order my cabinet doors pre-painted - then I'd somehow have to match this MDF trim finish, which I suspect would be nearly impossible.

Any advice here?

Advertisement

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 79

If I understand what you are saying, you currently have partial overlay cabinet doors and drawer fronts. The shaker style you are talking about, from what I can tell, are full overlay. Not sure what you mean by the gap between the doors. Normally on partial overlay cabinets what is behind them is the face frame of the cabinet. A picture would be extremely helpful here.

Advertisement

MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaineLL For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-18-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 592

Can you post some pics? I'm not sure what you mean, you want to leave
the boxes and frames and replace the doors? The spaces in between
concern you?
We built a shaker kitchen and butted the doors together,
except on one cabinet in our breakfast room. Which by the time we
got to the breakfast room the cabs morphed into arts and crafts. But none
the less it's a shaker kitchen. I applauded you on the plain for a shaker design
kitchen; it's a timeless look and will never be outdated, and goes well
with a lot of different decor.

I think you can just build your doors wider to cover the strip of
the style in the middle of the box. Post some pics of your existing kitchen
perhaps I can help you, and give you some ideas.
Joann
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote