Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roman shades from mini blinds question

Has anyone made Roman shades from mini blinds? I found some great tutorials online so I planned to make 2 for our new bedroom. Got through the first one and everything was beautiful until I went to hang it.

First when I hung the top rod back on the brackets I noticed that the pull cord was virtually inaccessible. My intention was that these would be function not decorative.

Second when I tried them out by pulling the cord to see how they folded I realized there was no way to anchor the rod in the brackets because the fabric blocks the grooves where the bracket covers would slide in. So of course the whole thing fell out.

Has anyone conquered these issues so that these DIY shades are both beautiful and functional?

watotomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
WindowTreatment Installer

Rewards Points: 75

Was this made from a vinly mini blind and is it a inside or outside mount? If it's a inside mount here is what I suggest. I would forget about those plastic slides and pre-drill 3 holes into the headrail. One in the middle and one about 3 inches in from each side. Just make sure you advoid and componets inside the headrail. Then get a 2 1/2 to 3 inch screw, put a washer on it and go through the headrail right into top window frame.

If it's a outside mount I would buy some small "L" brackets and mount the blind on the "L" brackets.

bobtheblindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobtheblindguy For This Useful Post:
watotomom (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Bobthebuildguy. Thanks for that suggestion. It's an inside mount and I think that will work drilling up into the window frame.
watotomom is offline   Reply With Quote