Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

reupholstering drop in seats

Hi, this is my first post

I have my grandparents old dining room set and the chairs are in need of reupholstering (every chair but 1 is ripped and my 8 mo baby eats the batting ). Anyway, I am pretty sure that I am up for this job, but I just want to make sure I get everything I need. My big question comes with what padding to put on the seat. I disassembled one of the chairs and I found the wooden base, some weird stuff (kind of like straw, but synthetic), then some batting. Ok, so I am going to replace the batting with new batting. How much batting per chair? Also, and this is my big question, what do I buy to replace that straw-like stuff?

Thanks for any direction!!

Beth

mathmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Hi Beth,

The straw might be just that if the chairs are real old. If it is all one piece is is a pad made from synthetic straw. Either way if it is torn and missing throw it out. If it is all in one piece you can just reuse it and add cotton batting to it.
To replace it you would be best to use the same type product if you can find it. It is called Rubberized hair pad. You can also use 1" of poly foam but you want a firm type, then cotton on top of whatever you use. If you use foam cut it 1/2" larger all around the seats. Place cotton on top and tear this at the same size. Use your hand to guide the tear. Cotton will tear pretty straight in one direction, the other is a bit harder to tear straight. You can also cut it with shears but tearing it gives a less defined edge. In the end you want this padding to just wrap around the wood but not go under it. Perfect is right at the bottom edge. When you upholster with the fabric start from center. Pin the front center, then back center, go to the front ends and work it smooth each way, then take out the slack. Same in the rear. Then do the sides, basically the same way. Finish up with the corners.
Also before you take the seats out mark which ones went to each chair. It makes reassembly easier as screw holes are going to be different on each chair.

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

If the chairs are old, the "straw" stuff may be horse hair. That was the traditional upholstery material until early last century. Curly horsehair would be covered with cotton batting, and then muslin.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote