Requirements For Granite? - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Requirements for Granite?

Are there any requirements for granite as it pertains to cabinets such as weight distribution, height or anything else? I'm asking because I would like to replace my Formica countertops with granite however my cabinets were installed more than ten years ago, before I moved here. The cabinets are in good condition but before I embark on this project I would like to know if there are any requirements.

Advertisement

jerome8283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

once the old top is removed check and make sure that the existing cabinets are sound and level across there tops. install cleats behind dishwasher against wall. check on the size of your floor joists also, you don't want any deflection of the floor, I have seen a granite top crack in mid span by sink because of the floor joist being under sized with 2x6's. you should be fine, but it should be up to the granite top fabricator to determine the structural support of the top, being there going to warranty it. BOB

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

We just had granite installed on cabinets that have to be at least 10 years old. I asked similar questions of the contractor and he provided similar answers to the post above. Besides a couple of small shims to level part of the counter and corbels under the breakfast bar, the granite was mounted directly to the cabinets without added support.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote