Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 162

Repaint Kitchen Cabinets

My wife is hellbent on repainting our kitchen cabinets. She hates the white cabinets because there are a few paint chips in them and they are always dirty due to our dogs.

I know this isn't a home decorating forum, but I'd like to get some feedback from any of you that have experience with painted cabinets in smaller kitchens. We are going to pick a traditional cabinet color (maybe something with an olive/grey color or even a traditional greenish color), but I'm worried that it might over power the small kitchen.

Do any of you have insight into this? Also, a picture of my kitchen is below and I also gave a link to the post that describes the repainting method that I'll likely use (thanks Slickshift).

painting old cabinets

loftezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Repaint Kitchen Cabinets

If you are keeping the flooring, countertops and appliances you will want to pick a color scheme that will not make them look dirty or to stark. Dark colors tend to make spaces look smaller. You will want to think about enhancing your kitchen lighting with some track lighting or something if you go to dark cabinets too.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Repaint Kitchen Cabinets

go for it ,i think it would great .whats the story with the bulk heads IMHO i think it should be painted the same as the walls .
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,820

Repaint Kitchen Cabinets

Moved to Interior Decorating forum.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Repaint Kitchen Cabinets

I'd say go for it!
I've never cared for white cabinets.
Don't forget to number (or otherwise keep track of) the doors as you remove them. You want them to go back on the same cabinet they came off of.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 162

Repaint Kitchen Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
go for it ,i think it would great .whats the story with the bulk heads IMHO i think it should be painted the same as the walls .
I'm not sure what the bulkheads were for, there's nothing in them except extra space above the top shelf. I'll look into painting them the same color as the walls.
loftezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
DIY-er

Rewards Points: 75

Repaint Kitchen Cabinets

Here is a photo of my own kitchen cabinets that are painted MDF - just scroll down until you see the photo. http://www.home-additions-startup-gu...ecorating.html

I have seen many successful kitchens done in all colours of the rainbow. For more ideas, you can go to Flickr or Istockphoto and enter kitchen into the search field to see hundreds of photos.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 526

Repaint Kitchen Cabinets

We painted the cabinets in our old mobile, and they turned out pretty good (compared with the early 80's wood paneling that they used to be). We did the cabinet parts in white, and the drawers and cabinet doors in a cream yellow, similar to what you have on that wall. We did the handles in white spray paint, had some brown in there somewhere, but I don't remember where. We also had a red accent wall, but that's not for everybody. I looked for some pictures, but couldn't find any good ones, and the house is long gone.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Repaint Kitchen Cabinets

I am with you on repainting the cupboards, what the heck, you can always paint them again, and I am sure you will. I am thinking of this also as I just bought a house and whoever had the house before painted the cupboards, the counter top, and its a mess, chipping, she evan got paint on the sink, doors wont close on some of them, so I am going to sand them, and paint them. some of the drawers are bad, so will have to find new one, going to raise the ceiling, trying to make it a country home. But the main problem I have is fixing the front doors. Does anyone know how to paint steel doors to look like wood? They are painted burgandy right now, so do I have to sand and seal them first?

meier0644 is offline   Reply With Quote