Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Recessed lighting layout

I'm trying to come up with a plan to install recessed lighting in our living room. The room is roughly 14' square opening into a 10' square dining area, with 8' ceilings. The dining area has a 50Wx4 halogen chandelier which works well in that area, but does nothing for the rest of the living room. The living room has no light fixtures at all, so we've been using table lamps and floor lamps, but it's still pretty dark in there.

I'm looking for input on possible layouts for recessed lighting using 6" inch cans with open trims. I've come up with a couple of different options, but am looking for some other input. Any suggestions?

The attached images show the layout the room and our furniture. The green circles represent the light locations I've been thinking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Recessed lighting layout-layout1.jpg   Recessed lighting layout-layout2.jpg  

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Recessed lighting layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachard1583 View Post
Installing can be tricky when you don't have access to the ceiling, but luckily, most manufacturers offer remodeling fixtures. These fixtures are meant to be installed from below the ceiling.

San Francisco Interior Designer
There is attic above this space, so I can use new work, air-tight IC-rate fixtures. My biggest concern is the correct placement of the fixtures to get even downlighting in the room and placement that looks good.

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 156

Recessed lighting layout

I would certainly go with the can placement where they are in a sequence rather than the X fashion. That would generate alot of light in certain places and not as equal of light in other places. When you do even can placement across the span it is much better distribution of light. 2 seperate switches i'd assume? Good luck!

Last edited by ryan5068; 12-19-2010 at 03:47 AM.
ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote