Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10
Default

panic room


I am thinking about making a panic room, the kind of room if someone has broken in, etc that you would go into. I've starting researching the idea but wondered if anyone had any suggestions on this, like what should be inside. I'm thinking it would also make a good storm cellar.

mommywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 4,031
Rewards Points: 2,534
Default

panic room


how big of a space do you have for this, and how much do you want to invest ?

Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

panic room


Just Google Panic room, lots of ideas will pop up.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

panic room


And medicine cabinet sizes to go in panic room. You will need meds confined. You will never, ever know when it is safe to go outside again.

Last edited by beenthere; 11-20-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Un-needed comment
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
creeper (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,978
Rewards Points: 3,626
Default

panic room


Video monitoring/recording system to survey whats happening outside of the room, and for when its safe to come outside.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10
Default

panic room


I would definitely need a camera to see what's happening outside the room. And yeah, medication storage (thank you). I expect to spend about 30-40k. From what I see, that would be sufficient. I'm thinking no smaller than 15x15. It's just my husband and I so it wouldn't have to be huge, but large enough to be comfortable for several hours to maybe 2 days at most. I was surprised to find out how many people are getting these. From what I have read, a lot of people started getting them built after 09/11. This isn't something I plan to do like next week or even next month. I would want to research this some more. Apparently there are security companies that specialize in these so I need to also find some different companies and see what they have to say and talk money and of course they would (hopefully) know what they are doing. This could also serve as a storm shelter. Thanks for the suggestions. Incidentally, I googled this a long time ago.

Last edited by mommywoman; 11-20-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: misspelling.
mommywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Special User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Idaho, US
Posts: 551
Rewards Points: 500
Default

panic room


Quote:
Originally Posted by mommywoman View Post
I expect to spend about 30-40k. From what I see, that would be sufficient.
Wow.

If I was doing it, I'd have the floor reinforced and then clad the entire room -- walls and ceiling -- in plate steel with welded seams. 1/4" thick would probably be enough. I'm completely serious -- if you're going to the effort to build a panic room, you don't want it to be defeated in 3 minutes by Jack Nicholson with a fire axe coming in through the thin drywall on either side of the door. The steel should also stand up the house collapsing around it (not sure how you'd get out, though). If not steel, then make the walls from 2x6 studs spaced about 1.5" on center (i.e., no gap between studs).

Be sure to include ventilation so you don't suffocate. Code may also require a fire egress, ask your AHJ when you pull the permit.
tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,978
Rewards Points: 3,626
Default

panic room


Quote:
Originally Posted by tylernt View Post
Wow.

If I was doing it, I'd have the floor reinforced and then clad the entire room -- walls and ceiling -- in plate steel with welded seams. 1/4" thick would probably be enough. I'm completely serious -- if you're going to the effort to build a panic room, you don't want it to be defeated in 3 minutes by Jack Nicholson with a fire axe coming in through the thin drywall on either side of the door. The steel should also stand up the house collapsing around it (not sure how you'd get out, though). If not steel, then make the walls from 2x6 studs spaced about 1.5" on center (i.e., no gap between studs).

Be sure to include ventilation so you don't suffocate. Code may also require a fire egress, ask your AHJ when you pull the permit.
Concrete walls, floor and ceiling.

A cutting torch would make short work of steel without making noise that neighbors could hear. A circ saw would open a stick framed room real quick, and few neighbors if any would hear it.

Re-enforced concrete will take hours to gt through unless their using explosives. And the neighbors would probably hear the noise.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
Rewards Points: 91
Default

panic room


Who's after you guys?

If you're worried about people who comes prepared with a cutting torch to cut through your steel enforced panic room, then you have some pretty serious beef with whoever is chasing you.

Maybe time to look into the witness protection program instead...

Or get a dog and a gun. It will cost a lot less than a panic room, and they'll protect you outside the home as well.

If you still want to get a panic room, you would also have to get some sort of perimeter alarm system so that you can get alerted of any intruders and allow you enough time to get to the panic room.

What kind of situations are you primarily trying to protect yourself against?
LVDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,978
Rewards Points: 3,626
Default

panic room


A panic room is to protect your against intruders. So you need to build it to keep them out.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
Rewards Points: 91
Default

panic room


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
A panic room is to protect your against intruders. So you need to build it to keep them out.
I understand that, I'm just wondering exactly what kind of situations that would bring an intruder armed with a cutting torch to break into your panic room.

For that to happen, I think you would have to be a very specific target in which case it would probably be easier to get to you while you are out and about driving around in your car and what not.

Maybe the OP has some specific concerns, to me it seems like $40.000 is a lot of money to spend on something that in most cases would be a very small risk. There are a lot of other risk management measures I would take before building a panic room.

But since this is a DIY forum and not a personal risk management forum, I agree that re enforced concrete walls is the way to go. Make them 2 feet thick so that it can double as a fallout shelter.
LVDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,978
Rewards Points: 3,626
Default

panic room


Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDIY View Post
I understand that, I'm just wondering exactly what kind of situations that would bring an intruder armed with a cutting torch to break into your panic room.

For that to happen, I think you would have to be a very specific target in which case it would probably be easier to get to you while you are out and about driving around in your car and what not.

Maybe the OP has some specific concerns, to me it seems like $40.000 is a lot of money to spend on something that in most cases would be a very small risk. There are a lot of other risk management measures I would take before building a panic room.

But since this is a DIY forum and not a personal risk management forum, I agree that re enforced concrete walls is the way to go. Make them 2 feet thick so that it can double as a fallout shelter.

Most DIYer will have a circ saw, or other cutting tools that can easily open up a stick and frame room. Many will have a cutting torch. Most won't happen to have C4 or dynamite handi to blow open the concrete.

Panic rooms are generally only for short term protection if an intruder breaks into the home, until the police can get there. Some people do keep enough store to wait out a power and communication outage, whee looting is rampant.

How much protection anyone needs is dependent on where they live.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,144
Rewards Points: 2,448
Default

panic room


My panic room is also known as a gun cabinet. It's kind of small so I don't plan to stay inside it. It's contents actually transfers panic to the intruder
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
awenfam (01-19-2013)
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

panic room


You all watch too much tv.

Panic should set in only when the feezer has been depleted of Haggen Daz
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (12-23-2012), TheEplumber (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 25,978
Rewards Points: 3,626
Default

panic room


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
You all watch too much tv.

Panic should set in only when the feezer has been depleted of Haggen Daz
Panic sets in when the beer gets warm. LOL

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
creeper (11-21-2012), Fix'n it (11-22-2012), gma2rjc (12-23-2012), LVDIY (11-21-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insulating a cold/well room? Lynch Building & Construction 23 07-25-2014 03:49 PM
converting a great room into upper and lower room denemante Building & Construction 7 10-18-2012 07:44 PM
Need a foundation in my laundry room sweetfarm Building & Construction 14 09-06-2012 10:49 PM
Bathroom to Laundry Room to Bathroom bcatanz10 Remodeling 2 10-10-2011 10:45 PM
Vapor Barrier on elevated 4 season room Indyc0lt Insulation 3 09-15-2011 02:41 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.