DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting/staining crown moulding and chair rail

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Dinggus 
#1 ·
We are installing crown moulding and chair rail in our dining room. Should the crown moulding be the same finish as the chair rail? The wall from the crown moulding to the chair rail is white and from the chair rail to the baseboard is geranium red. Is it ok to paint the crown molding and baseboard white and put wood stain on the chair rail?

#6 ·
Summer11, painting the crown molding with the flat ceiling paint is an awesome effect. I've done it over the years and have started suggesting it more often lately. I talked a woman into it two years ago and she was hesitant, but she loved it and is now doing it through the rest of her projects. Her ceiling color is BM White Dove and she uses a lot of browns. It looks fabulous. It gives the effect of the old plaster crown and is more subdued than having a semi-gloss streak around the top of the room, especially if you have flat walls AND ceiling. Give it a shot, you can always add semi later.

#8 ·
I would disagree. If you have flat walls and flat ceilings (paint-wise), a nice semi-gloss works very well.

If you want the crown to "disappear" into the flat ceiling, why have crown? jmo
Jay, painting crown with the trim does look nice, agreed. However, painting it with the ceiling finish is an interesting decorative effect and looks great. It doesn't disappear at all. It gives the impression that the ceiling and the crown are one. The woman says she gets a lot of positive reactions to it. I just did her formal living and dining rooms in the very same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.