Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Painting the bedroom.....can you visualize?

Hi. I will try to make this make sense without pics; can post pics later if needed.

Repainting the bedroom. Found a nice blue we love (harder than we thought to find!). It's a sky blue.... like sky on a cloudless summer afternoon. Not so light that it is a faded blue, but not so saturated it looks like a swimming pool. Looks nice in all phases of daylight and night, natural light and otherwise.

One of our walls had previously been painted a deep, very dark chocolate brown. The blue looks fabulous up against it where it meets in the corner.

Our trim is a soft cream.

The room: Master on the main. Sliding glass door to backyard. No windows otherwise. Headboard of bed up against wall opposite the doorway into the room. Standing in the doorway entering the bedroom: dark chocolate wall to your left. Walk in closet to immediate left, also doorway to bathroom on same wall with a 3/4 length wall-hung mirror with frame covered in faux-gold leaf hanging between the two doors (cream trim and six panel doors). Still standing in the doorway to the bedroom, bed is straight ahead against freshly painted blue wall. Bed is missionary style construction with a reddish-brown cherry finish and is flanked by 3-drawer nightstands of the same style. Wall to the left is also painted blue and has the sliding glass door in it. Wall opposite the footboard of the bed has a large dressser/cabinet piece against it. Two towers separated by a dresser component. It is an antiqued wild-flower yellow color with brass finishings. Large ceiling fan/light with dark-wood blades above the bed---style is simple and reflects shaker/missionary dynamics.

The question: We love how the blue looks against the chocolate brown already on one wall (the bathroom/closet wall). There is lots going on with that wall, what with two trimmed doorways and the gilded framed mirror hanging between them.

So..... is it weird if we paint the wall behind the yellow cabinetry that same dark brown and end up with two dark brown walls and two blue walls? It feels weird.

I guess I see 4 choices:

1) Paint the entire room blue and forget the dark brown (don't like this option)
2) Leave the existing dark brown wall alone and paint the remaining wall behind the yellow cabinetry, blue.
3) Paint the existing dark brown wall blue, and paint the wall behind the yellow cabinetry dark brown.
4) Paint the wall behind the yellow cabinetry dark brown, leave the other wall dark brown, and end up with two dark brown walls and two light blue walls.

Arrghhh! decisions!

I know I can paint the wall behind the yellow cabinetry blue to start to see how it looks, but I am trying to avoid buying more paint while making this decision.

I suppose the root of my question is: which wall makes the most sense for the dark brown accent.... the one opposite the foot of the bed behind the yellow cabinetry, or the one with the closet and bathroom doors in it?

Ugh. Thanks for reading this far!

btbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #2

Sky blue always looks better.

loganmuirden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #3

How about some pictures of the space!?
bilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:44 AM   #4

sky blue is nice, but I think some pearl colours could work quite well: something like ivory or mink or cream ... I think that would compliment the yellow quite well.

Or are you set on the blue and brown ...?
Jerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #5

If you're confused you can buy interior magazines to get the ideas or you can contact interior designer in your area -> this is the fastest way if you have enough budget or you ask his/her advice.
arvinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #6

Is there any picture of your bedroom?

luckybabydoll is offline   Reply With Quote