Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #1

Share |

Paint first or put up crown molding first

Should I paint the room first or install the crown molding first?
SherrinaNapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #2

I presonally would paint first. Involves less taping!
bbguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
DIY staff

Crown first-if it is to be painted-here is why--

If the crown molding is to be painted,you will be caulking it --the caulk will spoil the new paint job.

I like to paint the moldings first--then the ceilings--last-the walls.

If the crown is stained and varnished---paint first.---Mike---
Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Handyman

I'm with Mike..pre-paint the crown then just do touch ups
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
SDC

X3 Crown first

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #6

Personally I would paint the walls first, paint the crown, install the crown, caulk and touch up nail holes.

If you keep the caulk clean during the process and use good paint it shouldn't be tough to clean off if you make a mess. And yeah, less taping
LordOfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Drywall and Painting Pro

Do the first coat on the walls > First coat crown before installing > Install crown > Fill holes, caulk and second coat crown > Second coat walls.

-Paul

Checkout some of

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #8

I'm with LordofChaos. Get good at caulking before you do your install or even hire someone to do this small part. Painting the walls and ceiling before installing pre-painted crown moulding saves a lot of time and will look better in the end.
DIY_Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #9

Caulking the trim after the walls are painted makes a mess when you run your finger down the trim and does not clean up without leaving unremovable streaks on the new paint surface. The only way to avoid this is to tape the edge, and now you're just wasting time.

Also, the end result of painting over caulking usually looks much more seamless.

X4.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
Caulking the trim after the walls are painted makes a mess when you run your finger down the trim and does not clean up without leaving unremovable streaks on the new paint surface.

The trick is to cut a very small hole diagonally in the caulk tube. As you apply the caulk, aim the diagonal towards the baseboard (casing, crown) This directs all of the excess away from the wall surface. As you wipe your finger, guide the caulking towards the trim. If you feel too much buildup, wipe your finger and continue. Any excess caulk will be on the trim and can be washed away easily without affecting the paint on the wall. Try to keep a constant bead.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
The trick is to cut a very small hole diagonally in the caulk tube. As you apply the caulk, aim the diagonal towards the baseboard (casing, crown) This directs all of the excess away from the wall surface. As you wipe your finger, guide the caulking towards the trim. If you feel too much buildup, wipe your finger and continue. Any excess caulk will be on the trim and can be washed away easily without affecting the paint on the wall. Try to keep a constant bead.
Great tip, thanks! I still like to paint the trim+caulking combination after for a more seamless result - especially if the trim is any other color but white.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 AM   #12

I'm with oh'mike and n0c7. Molding, ceiling, walls. I know there is more than one way to skin a cat, but i have found this to be the most efficient. Prime crown before install, (this saves on time working over head) install crown, fill holes and caulk, then finish coat crown. Paint ceilings second. When painting ceilings you almost always get at least a little splatter on the walls, so save the walls for last and you will have a clean, crisp look.

Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/
sharpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #13

I usually paint the wall a couple inches above and a couple of inches below where the bottom of the crown is going. I give the crown two finish coats before installing. After installing I patch, fill and sand smooth and then give the crown its final coat. I try to never put fasteners near the edges of the crown so they don't have to be repainted. Give it one more finish coat. Then caulk. After that finish painting the wall. Same procedure for casing and base.

This gives me a nice clean line at the edge of the trim and I don't have to spend a lot of time cutting it in. It also saves on messing up the wall while installing the trim.

good luck
rapidfit is offline   Reply With Quote