Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #1

Share |

Paint color advice needed

I am doing my 13 year old daughters bedroom over. We just purchased all black furniture. Her floors are going to be Wilsonart Laminate in Northern birch. It is a really lite color. Her comforter is tan with black scrolls all over it. It's almost like a toille. She has a small room and only one window. I would like to know what to paint to walls. I was planning on buying a small black area rug. I would love any advice. Thanks so much!
Chris
chrisd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
She'sapainter

The smaller the room the lighter the paint,
you might want to stay with a tan or sand possibly a light taupe. or a color in a picture she has in the room just something light that incorporates that will brings the your choise of colors in the room together.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Born a decorator

Small rooms look cozy and inviting with darker colors on the walls. I would suggest using a favorite bold color on the walls and then keep the rest of the details in the black and tans.

Or... use a light tan on the walls and use a favorite bold color to "pop" in the pillows, curtains, lamp shades and other decorative items.

Either would be a great look! Would love to see photos once you're done!

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-28-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Advertising Links Removed
PassionateDIY'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #4

I don't agree with the smaller the room the lighter the color. A medium tone would be nice, or even one wall with a nice bright smack of her favorite color and the other 3 walls a complimentary one to it. My sons room had a chair rail in it already, so we painted it the colors he chose, medium blue for the top half, and a very dark blue for the bottom half. I was dead against it, but it turned out awesome!! It's only paint, if you don't like it, get another gallon, and VOILA!!
DepotDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #5

I think a light color is the best way to go and I recently saw black furniture against really pale pink walls which looked really beautiful...I would love to see what you do also!
Sandra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Maybe it's a silly question (all my 'kids' have four legs) but have your asked your daughter what she wants?

13 seems like the perfect age to start making these sort of choices.

If you can't tolerate her making a mistake, then let her pick a color and present it to you with some sort of persuasive presentation. That way she gets involved in the process, asserts her individuality in a constructive way, and learns to negotiate successfully for what she wants.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #7

Try Benjamin Moore's Desert Tan. Great rich color with yellow/cream tones.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote