Paint Advice - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint Advice

Hi,

Two questions:

1) My living room and dining room join with a large opening. I am painting the living room Northgate Green from dunn edwards. I like the complement blue called Midnight Blush. Should i paint the living room and dining room the same or would it be ok to paint the dining room blue and the living room green.

2) I want blue in my master bedroom and bath. I like the Midnight Blush and also like the blues that are 1 and 2 tones darker than midnight blush (Bossanove blue and Champion blue). should i paint the master bed and bath the same color or can i do different tones of the same color chart? if you recommend diffeent tones, would you go lighter in the bed or the bath AND would you go 1 or 2 tones different in color?

thx in advance!!

Advertisement

missingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Paint Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmn View Post
Hi,

Two questions:

1) My living room and dining room join with a large opening. I am painting the living room Northgate Green from dunn edwards. I like the complement blue called Midnight Blush. Should i paint the living room and dining room the same or would it be ok to paint the dining room blue and the living room green.

1) Green and blue look very nice together. I think that if you want to use both colours then you should.

2) I want blue in my master bedroom and bath. I like the Midnight Blush and also like the blues that are 1 and 2 tones darker than midnight blush (Bossanove blue and Champion blue). should i paint the master bed and bath the same color or can i do different tones of the same color chart? if you recommend diffeent tones, would you go lighter in the bed or the bath AND would you go 1 or 2 tones different in color?

2)You can do any of the options that you have mentioned. If you want to see a difference in the colour between the two spaces you may get away with painting both rooms the same colour as the lighting may be different therefore the colour will look different in both spaces. Or you can choose another tone of the colour on the same chart.....how different comes down to the lighting in the room and how much of a difference you want.
thx in advance!!

Cheers
Mary

Advertisement

Last edited by mdancey; 01-23-2008 at 07:53 AM.
mdancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Paint Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmn View Post
Hi,

Two questions:

thx in advance!!

I do interior design - one of my many talents

Unless your two rooms have a dividing wall - I would hesitate painting them two opposing colors. It's hard to give you a definitive answer without seeing some sort of color swatch or picture of the rooms. However again, a nice dividing wall would be key here. If the two rooms kinda run together - I would advise against it.

Also, try to mix up your paint colors in the house. If you like doing the same colors throughout - go neutral. Like a lot of people - they pick or see a color they like and they keep going with it through the entire house. It becomes over done and defeats the purpose of paint and creating spaces.

Think about using neutral colors in your spaces and using accent colors on walls. One wall one bold color and the other three neutral. You have to make sure to pick the right wall.

I would say no go on the blue bathroom and bedroom. Also keep in mind, small spaces get smaller with darker colors. Lighter colors make the room feel bigger.

Hope this helps!
AbSoluTc is offline   Reply With Quote