Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #1

Share |

Online vertical bling quality

I am looking for cloth vertical blinds 88" wide by 80" high for a patio door. The local blind maker want about $400 for them. I have used him before and he sells a decent quality product, but not brand names.

Surfing the web I see that a similar blind is about 1/3 the cost with free shipping. The local man is not coning to the house to measure or install so is apples to apples on that front.

If it were a $50 difference, it would not be an issue, I would use the local man. But this is over $200.

Can the quality possibly be the same? I did some searching but do not see a way to compare quality or look for complaints.

Any experience with this? JIm

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #2

If something you want "custom" is available online as "standard" that is the reason for the price difference. Your local guy needs to make exactly what you want just for you. Hence the higher price. When you're manufacturing hundreds at a time exactly the same, the cost decreases dramatically. Do not expect your local guy to come close to the online price.

IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IslandGuy For This Useful Post:
jjrbus (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #3

These are custom size blinds, so both have to make them. Also have more choices of color online.

It makes no sense that there would be that much of a price difference unless the online ones are a cardboard mockup?

JIm
Old 03-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #4

We'll never know unless you pull the trigger and order the online ones and find out.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. The price difference is huge. The local guy wants almost $400, online they are as little as $107 with free shipping! The $107 does not have a color I like so will have to spend about $150.

I am going to have to pull the trigger on this and see. Thanks JIm
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

Pulled the trigger, I ordered 88X80 center open fabric blinds for $113 with free shipping. From an outfit called Selectblionds.com. Time will tell. JIm
Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #7

Similar situation.
We're about to place an order with Blinds.com. Offered good price. We'll report on the quality when delivery comes in.
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #8

The blinds showed up quickly. I have compared them to Wal Mart Blinds and the local guys blinds. I see no major difference in quality.

There is nothing about them that says what a great deal, there is nothing that shouts cheap junk, right there in the middle.

All the parts were there, with instructions and 2 extra vanes.

These will be used daily so time will be the judge if they were a good purchase or not.
HTH JIm
Old 03-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #9

Vertical blinds normally have two controls - a cord operated carrier control which allows the opening and closing and a chain operated rotator system. These controls allow for the opening and closing of vertical blind and the rotation of the vertical blind louvers.

garykerr is offline   Reply With Quote