New Table, New Problems!!! - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

New table, new problems!!!

So, I've been planning for quite some time what colors I wanted to paint our orange/yellow oak cabinets. When I finally came to a decision my partner brings home a "gift"...a new kitchen table. This is rare for him, so of course I thank him and have decided to just decorate and plan around it. Don't get me wrong, it's just lovely BUT it just doesn't go.

As of now the main wall is a nice moss green, light oak cabinets, with white appliances. The table he brought home is dark espresso wood, with a grey/beige/black marble top, and dark brown leather chairs....

My question is should I stain the cabinets to match the table (well, better than they do now)? Or does someone know of a nice color that might incorporate the table with the rest of the kitchen? I'm just stuck. I'm going to attempt to post pictures. Please forgive the terrible quality, my phone isn't exactly a photographers dream device.
Attached Thumbnails
New table, new problems!!!-image.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Chance93; 10-07-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Chance93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #2

Here is a picture of the table. Again, sorry for the quality. It's a bit dark since I took these late this night.
Attached Thumbnails
New table, new problems!!!-image.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 3,548

Actually, that is a very nice table. I like the colors and I think your going to have more options on making it all match.

Your bigger issue is that you said your going to 'stain' your cabinets. Your only reasonable option for those cabinets if you keep them is paint. The labor necessary to strip them down so you can stain them is more labor than you will ever want to exert.

If you want stain....just buy new cabinets. If you want to keep what you have....paint.

But an even bigger issue is what you have for a counter top. I'm willing to bet your exiting counter top is not going to match much of anything you want to do.

And....those are really good looking chairs......and if you want to change things around now and then....table clothes. The greatest invention for changing looks and hiding ugly tables.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Chance93 (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #4

Thanks for the great advice, I'm going to trust you and paint them for sure. Now it's just choosing the right color. Any suggestions?

And yes, your right the counters are going to pose a major problem. Currently they are a "laminate-like" beige and cream. I hope to replace them in the near future, but want to take this kitchen one baby step at a time LOL
Old 10-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 30

We just did ours an off white with dark hardware and we love it. Our counter tops are similar to that table top, so you can see how it might go together.
Attached Thumbnails
New table, new problems!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1412804651832.jpg  
CabinCrisis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CabinCrisis For This Useful Post:
Startingover (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 660

That looks great cabin crisis. Clean and fresh looking.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 30

Thanks. Saved a fortune by painting rather than replacing.
CabinCrisis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 108

I like the color of your table, changing color is a better option than replacing them, you can select some off white or creamish color.

Advertisement

RobertCurry is offline   Reply With Quote