New Look For My Oak Bedroom Set - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New look for my Oak Bedroom set

My bedroom furniture was my parents first set when they married in 1942. It has a nice oak finish to it and fairly shiny when polished. I would like to give it a beach look now that I live near the ocean. I guess it could be called a white was look, but I don't know what to do? I'm guessing it's going to need sanding? I don't know if any vaneers are present. Being a piece from the 40's it is all wood to the best of my knowledge. What should I do? I don't want to have to pay someone alot to do it for me. I have a dresser,chest of drawers, headboard footboard and two night stands. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

stv25419@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Are you willing to spend at least a week working on this project?
Will to give up any value this antique furniture may have?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #3

Thanks for taking the time to respond. How can I find out the value of this bedroom set? The time involved is not important, but you're right I may not want to ruin the value if there is any value of substance.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

If it is nice oak, see if you can find its value. I hate to see hardwood painted over for fashion. I would rather see you sell it and use the money to get something closer to what you want than ruin it with a white wash finish. Especially since you say it is in great shape and has, I am guessing 40s postwar lines?

Take some photos and see if an antique furniture dealer near you will talk to you honestly about it. I have worked with consignment furniture dealers that were reputable although many are snakes.

On the other hand, it is yours and paid for and probably better built than lots that might be in your budget to replace it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #5

I hear you. These are the same things I'm struggling with. I guess I just need to give it more thought. Nice chatting with you and thanks for your time.