Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new floor and counters

my walls are red and cabinet is oak. I want to install a new ceramic floor and kitchen colors, but I'm not sure about the colors. I am willing to paint the walls, but I can't afford to buy cabinets. Cabinets are less than 10 years old.

mayyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

new floor and counters

How long do you plan on staying in your home? And do you want to repaint again before moving? You may want to consider a more neutral color for future resale. Ask your paint salesperson to show you a selection of colors that would fall into the neutral spectrum.

Assuming your cabinets are the typical Honey Oak or Golden Oak, medium to light color stain, stick with a medium to light color floor, again in a neutral color.

Assuming everything else in the kitchen is a medium or light color, I like a darker counter top for contrast and interest. One downside if you choose a dark color solid surface (Corian, Hi-Macs, Hanex, etc.), when they scratch, the scratch is white. The upside is the scratch can be buffed out with a green or maroon Scotchbrite pad and a little elbow grease.

Many people overlook door knobs and drawer pulls as a way to dress up their cabinets. You'll be surprised how much of a difference this simple and relatively inexpensive upgrade will make. Just be careful, you can go overboard, some knobs and pulls do tend to get pricey.

Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote