Need Help With Color Scheme - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with color scheme

I am in a great deal of color advice. My house was a model home built in 1990 with a taupe and pink interior color scheme. I purchased it a few years ago and I am now trying to update the colors. The problem I am facing is finding a color scheme that will coordinate with the trim, the floor, etc. The trim (same color as kitchen cabinets and built ins), despite appearing light and neutral, casts either a grey hue or a pink hue. The stain on our oak wood floors is a medium brown with a yellow undertone. I was reading in another forum that yellow undertones (floors) do not agree with the red undertone (trim). My house is relatively large and I would not like to have to redo the trim or the floor. Also, I am a brunette with olive complexion and would like the new color scheme to agree with my coloring (so most yellows are out of the question.) Should I just give up and go with white walls? Please help!

Advertisement

vicky disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

How about some low intensity greens...olive, etc? Green and red are complementary colors so that should help with the red undertones. Try getting a few of the strips of the paint swatches in different greens and see how it looks.

Advertisement

darlenep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for the fast reply!! I love olive green but there is a detail I didn't mention. The kitchen counters are emerald green. The backsplash is white with a small burgundy tile detail. We want to replace them eventually but for now they have to stay. So I need something to coordinate with them as well.
vicky disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

ok, well that changes things a little. I would still get the color strips , try taupe, cream, white( lots of varieties of white) and see if any will work for you.
I usually get several strips and tape them up to see how I like the way the colors work together.
Hope this helps
darlenep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 324

Here's a good tool for color schemes Click Here!

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote