Mixing Brass With Nickel - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 268

Mixing brass with nickel

Mostly everything in our house is Nickel with white trim so I'm in the process of re-painting all our doors and changing the original brass door hardware to nickel - (hinges and knobs).

This is all well and good except for our master. My master bedroom will have nickel (main door and closet doors) however my master bathroom still has brass - and it's not something I can change right now (IE - shower stall, tiled in tub faucet, etc).

If I put a nickel knob on the entrance it will match the bedroom but look off in the bathroom. If I put a brass knob in it will match the bathroom but not the bedroom. Which way should I cater to?

Would it be odd to buy two and put the bedroom side nickel and bathroom side brass?

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

Mixing brass with nickel

I would cater to the nickel because it sounds like eventually you want to get rid of all the brass anyway but if it bothers you that it doesn't match buy two.

Advertisement

msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Mixing brass with nickel

Sure, they sell split-sets just for that purpose. You'd likely have to order them. But price out what a split-set would cost vs two sets, might be cheaper online.

We were going to go that route in our new house. But the handle style we chose doesn't have a polished chrome version, so we just went with the satin nickel style. Truth be told it really doesn't make much difference, nobody realizes it be me. Now, I could see where brass might be a bit more obvious, but again I doubt anyone but you would notice.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote