Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

I have a wall in my living room that is mirrored. I really like the effect of the mirrors (illusion of more room), but I do realize that it dates the house. Is there anything I could do to update these mirrors?

lkwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

honestly, probably not. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't other ways to visually increase the size of a room......

solid and light wall colors (no chair rail, patterns, or boarders). Light colored flooring.... if wood flooring, the planks should run in the same direction as the shorter walls.. this visually elongates them.

Have light colored and thin curtains that go from floor to ceiling.

furniture can also make a room look less cluttered and more spacious...
glass tables
smaller scaled furniture
low profile furniture (side board instead of tall china cabinet)
avoid bulky chairs or oversized china cabinets

hope this helps

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #3

Thanks diy'er on LI - those are some really great things to work with!!
lkwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

You might get more response with more information (a pic would help). How big is the wall? How big is the mirror? Is the mirror one piece or those 12" squares?

I saw a pic somewhere. Someone took a bunch of 12" mirror tiles and used trim between and around them to give the impression of a latticed window. A narrow shelf was then added below as a sill.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #5

I do like mirrors for the same reason it cause this wide space feel. I have one facing the dining area and what i did to update? I repainted the wall with beige and it was as thought the whole dining area finally was awaken. Colors are the easiest to substitute and very fun to do too. Hope this helps
----
http://www.pestbomb.com/

Last edited by heart08; 07-22-2009 at 03:06 AM.
heart08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #6

Many people like the look of a large mirror on the wall in their home or apartment. In addition to being useful to check out your style and appearance, many people believe that they can be effective in helping to make a small space look larger. It's important to be careful when hanging a mirror. A big glass mirror with a wooden frame is probably a lot heavier than the photos you normally hang on the wall.

You need to be a bit more careful when hanging it. Most photos can be hung with a single nail. Heavy mirrors should use a hook that connects to the wall, and ideally two or three hooks. Sometimes the hooks can lock in order to make sure that even a strong earthquake will not dislodge your mirrors and send them crashing to the floor.

Brian
http://miceexterminationforbeginners.blogspot.com/

Last edited by freedomlover007; 03-24-2011 at 01:40 PM.
freedomlover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

I agree to diy'er on LI using a light color of curtains may help you..and avoid using big cabinets, and big tables is not good to put those things in your room

desiree_furman is offline   Reply With Quote