Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #1

Share |

Mirror above fireplace

Hi all, i just bought a large ( 100 x 80 cm ) mirror to hang above my fireplace, is there a general rule of thumb about how high to place a mirror above the mantle piece ? I was intending to hang this vertically , starting from 15 cm above the mantel piece, meaning the top edge of mirror will be 95 cm above mantel piece, but think this might look slightly too low with the overall proporton of the wall, i just dont want it too high up the wall that it looks disjointed with the fireplace - any advice ?

richtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #2

Mirror above fireplace

There is no rule book. Just put it where ever you feel it looks best.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Mirror above fireplace

Usually when hanging things you want enough on the bottom so as to visually support the weight. You can either position your mirror equidistant or leave more space at the bottom as when hanging art.

You will probably need some masonry anchors and some sort of at least floating hangers for mirrors. Or a frame. Or something.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #4

Mirror above fireplace

I have a huge mirror above my fireplace (I had the mirror before we moved to this house). It's huge. It's too high to see yourself in. I think I need something else above the fireplace. Plus the ceilings are about 20' tall so there is nothing above the mirror so I'm at a loss on what to do. I want stone all the way up to the ceiling but my husband is in the middle of redoing our stairs so I can't even mention the fireplace yet.

JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Mirror above fireplace

Get some cardboard, cut it to the same size and tape it up there. See what looks good.

Julie, how is the mirror attached? Can you angle it so you see more of the room, and less of the ceiling?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #6

Mirror above fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Get some cardboard, cut it to the same size and tape it up there. See what looks good.

Julie, how is the mirror attached? Can you angle it so you see more of the room, and less of the ceiling?

It's hung on the wall with toggle bolts (I think). I could angle it but I think I need to get creative and figure something else to hang on the fireplace so it can take up more vertical space.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #7

Mirror above fireplace

ok, I can't figure out how to shrink my photos yet. You can do something similar to add some interest. I just used inexpensive strips from HD and nailed them in. Way cheaper than it would be to do stone and it can be temporary.
klmeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #8

Mirror above fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmeenan View Post
ok, I can't figure out how to shrink my photos yet. You can do something similar to add some interest. I just used inexpensive strips from HD and nailed them in. Way cheaper than it would be to do stone and it can be temporary.
I can't see your picture.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #9

Mirror above fireplace

i put it into my "other" photo album. It's what I did on my ceiling to hide my attic access. I did paint the rectangles different colors which I don't think you would need to do. The white would provide a nice contrast. I also would do more of a vertical brick pattern and you could also vary the sizes. Just a thought. Sorry I can't get it to post right. Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings if you don't like it. It's just a thought.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22518521@N08/8091776686/

Last edited by klmeenan; 10-15-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: picture
klmeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #10

Mirror above fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmeenan View Post
i put it into my "other" photo album. It's what I did on my ceiling to hide my attic access. I did paint the rectangles different colors which I don't think you would need to do. The white would provide a nice contrast. I also would do more of a vertical brick pattern and you could also vary the sizes. Just a thought. Sorry I can't get it to post right.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22518521@N08/8091776686/
I can see it by clicking the link, thanks. Pretty neat idea.