Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Share |
Default

Matching oak


I have been challenged with a new project from a friend. His house was built in the late 90's. He has oak trim a white fireplace greyish counter tops and PINK carpet and walls. Hardwood honey colored in some areas. Kitchen tile has pink, white, abit of green an purple. his windows have powder blue micro blinds. His budget is limited he is a single dad. Does not want to replace carpet. Any suggestions on paint color
Belinda3058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Matching oak


Paint color for which rooms? Any chance you could do a quick floorplan sketch to show the flow of things? Some pictures would help in this instance. Are all the elements and the colors associated with them staying or can carpeting and blinds be switched out?

A couple possibilities for you in the meantime. Color Impact, from Tiger Color, is one of the core color exploration tools I use in my color consulting work. I think you can try it for 30 days. It is a great way to explore color wheel relationships, shades and values, color schemes, color blends, etc. It helps to make sure you calibrate your monitor to 6500K (the industry standard for viewing and sharing info about color) and make sure you have a free pixel grabber handy. I like the one PicPick---a great set of screen tools that is freeware.

The virtual painting programs for companies like Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore are great tools. I use the Ben Moore one most and there are both free online or downloadable versions (but you have to download and install Adobe Air, which is free, for the machine level program). You can pick rooms with features similar to the ones challenging yours or upload you own photos, mask them, and then paint with any colors in the collections with a mouse click.

The other free program I use is www.easyrgb.com. Type in the RGB code of any pixel, make a major paint company color collection, and it will kick out the four closest paint chip names and numbers.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Matching oak


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Paint color for which rooms? Any chance you could do a quick floorplan sketch to show the flow of things? Some pictures would help in this instance. Are all the elements and the colors associated with them staying or can carpeting and blinds be switched out?

A couple possibilities for you in the meantime. Color Impact, from Tiger Color, is one of the core color exploration tools I use in my color consulting work. I think you can try it for 30 days. It is a great way to explore color wheel relationships, shades and values, color schemes, color blends, etc. It helps to make sure you calibrate your monitor to 6500K (the industry standard for viewing and sharing info about color) and make sure you have a free pixel grabber handy. I like the one PicPick---a great set of screen tools that is freeware.

The virtual painting programs for companies like Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore are great tools. I use the Ben Moore one most and there are both free online or downloadable versions (but you have to download and install Adobe Air, which is free, for the machine level program). You can pick rooms with features similar to the ones challenging yours or upload you own photos, mask them, and then paint with any colors in the collections with a mouse click.

The other free program I use is www.easyrgb.com. Type in the RGB code of any pixel, make a major paint company color collection, and it will kick out the four closest paint chip names and numbers.

Thank you very much for your reply, I am attaching a picture and as you can see it is going to be a challenge, The budget is limited and he really needs a new couch, so carpet and blinds stay, I want to try to neutralize the pink as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Matching oak-pink-living-room.jpg  
Belinda3058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,191
Default

Matching oak


Grey ..would be an easy choice for me. Maybe a different shade for the fireplace wall. You can find some really great or some really dull shades.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Matching oak


In basic color theory, colors across from each other on a color wheel cancel each other out. Pink is but red and greens would be the compliment. Maybe a nice sage or grayish green like Jan suggests. Should blend with the oak. I will toss things in a color wheel in a bit and see what I come up with.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Matching oak


I couldn't grab a pixel with a color of the blinds and the pixel grabber was kicking back more of a lavender than pink for the carpeting so I tweaked it. The pixel I used for the woodwork looks alright.

Anyhow, here are some swatches and a blend showing transition from the color in the woodwork to a grey-green compliment of the pink. Hopefully the blinds can be put on the wish list for replacement.

Hope this helps as a starting point. As mentioned elsewhere. If any of the colors in the blend or swatches are appealing use a pixel grabber to get their rgb codes. Then go to easyrgb.com, pick a paint manufacturer and color collection, the system will kick out the four closest paint chip names and numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Matching oak-woodwork-grey-green.jpg  
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Belinda3058 (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Matching oak


Thank you so much for your info,,,this gives me a great start
Belinda3058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Stuck in the 70's
 
Blondesense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: south central Missouri
Posts: 2,047
Default

Matching oak


People often think that grey is totally neutral, but it's not. Most greys will have an undertone. They may lean toward green or blue or warm tones and you may not realize this until its up on the wall and clashing with the carpet.

If you go with a grey, I'd spend the money and have test cans mixed. If you don't want to test them on the walls, paint pieces of poster board or something so you can see your choices in different areas and under different light.

Last edited by Blondesense; 10-22-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Matching oak


I am leaning towards warmer colours, grey is to cold and was one of the colours I was asks not to consider by my friend. I am looking at the Charmeuse AF265 Family with sugar brown as accent. The blinds have to stay so i have to work around those. Carpet would be replaced before blinds. Not my choice.

Love all the feedback Thank you
Belinda3058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Matching oak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
If you go with a grey, I'd spend the money and have test cans mixed. If you don't want to test them on the walls, paint pieces of poster board or something so you can see your choices in different areas and under different light.
Testing a quart or something of any color is not a bad idea. I can order large 8x8 swatches of color for clients from major companies at no charge. I suspect a real paint store could do the same. Many sell those little cans and pouches of sample color (if you are lucky enough to pick a swatch they come in) that let you paint out 2-3sf of a color.

And definitely think about lighting conditions. Not only is the temperature of a light source important but look also at the color rendering index of a bulb.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Matching oak


quote=Belinda3058;1035628]I am leaning towards warmer colours, grey is to cold and was one of the colours I was asks not to consider by my friend. I am looking at the Charmeuse AF265 Family with sugar brown as accent. The blinds have to stay so i have to work around those. Carpet would be replaced before blinds. Not my choice.

Love all the feedback Thank you[/quote]
Charmeuse looks to me to just be a slightly more dull an low energy version of the color on the walls now or am I missing something? It does not strike me as an especially warm color choice? It is still pinkish/lavenderish/grayish and I thought you wanted to get away from that? This is the chip my system found. Same as yours? Your monitor is set to 6500K?

charmeuse

Last edited by user1007; 10-22-2012 at 10:41 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Matching oak


it looked more taupe to me then pink, backing up a bit, I am going to BM later today to get swatches, those will make a difference then just looking at it on my mac. I want warm and cozy, and to neutralize the pick as much as possible
Belinda3058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Matching oak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda3058 View Post
it looked more taupe to me then pink, backing up a bit, I am going to BM later today to get swatches, those will make a difference then just looking at it on my mac. I want warm and cozy, and to neutralize the pick as much as possible
It is hard to judge subtle colors, even with a color corrected monitor. Hope things worked out at the paint store. If not, perhaps we can figure a way to get you large swatch samples.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Belinda3058 (10-22-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matching drywall ceiling texture roger35768 Drywall & Plaster 10 10-15-2012 08:23 AM
trying to find a matching color countertop Scott456 Remodeling 3 11-12-2011 08:23 PM
Color Matching with Aura & BM Classic Colors mobiledynamics Painting 1 09-20-2010 02:18 PM
Matching new drywall to old textured drywall pennshaq Drywall & Plaster 1 05-23-2010 09:30 AM
matching kitchen cabinets ponch37300 Remodeling 4 02-08-2009 09:41 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.