DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Should table style in open living/dining area match kitchen cabinets or living room?

• Match living room - after all it's in the same room

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Try to tie in with kitchen, since you can see the cabinets

• Either would work - go with what you like!

Living Room/Dining Room Combo

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bluee 
#1 ·
I need help deciding what type of dining table would look best in my new home. The living/dining room is one large (28' x 17') area and there's an open bar connecting it to the kitchen, so from the kitchen you can see all the way across the dining area to the far side of the living room, and vice-versa.

My kitchen cabinets were white beadboard but have been antiqued with a dark wash so they're more of an off-white now. Although I don't have living room furniture yet, it will be warm brown leathers and medium-toned wood pieces.

I'm considering two types of tables/chairs. One is stained wood in pretty much the same tones as the front double doors that lead into the area, as well as what the the living room furniture will eventually be. But I don't know how well this will tie in with the kitchen - or if that's even necessary.

The other is the table style with the stained top and painted bottom & painted chairs. My thinking is that the tabletop would tie in with the living room while the painted table skirt & legs as well as painted chairs would tie in with the kitchen. The drawback to this is that it may be TOO white, instead of the off-white color of the cabinets. But then, the trim in the room is white, as are the ceiling and beams.

I've included pics of the kitchen, living/dining area (the table would sit in front of the sliding glass doors - just to the left of the bar in the picture) as well as the three tables I'm considering.

I've agonized over this for some time, so any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful Home! I think the color and style of table #3 with the dark finish on the top which will contrast with the floor and wall color but coordinate nicely with the brown leather furniture is a nice choice. It brings a little of that shabby chic style from your kitchen into the rest of the living area. Classy, Chic, Rustic.... great combination. Good luck. Would love to see pics of the rest of the room when completed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.