Kitchen REMODEL DONE Except 4 Backsplash - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2015, 12:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 71

Kitchen REMODEL DONE except 4 backsplash

I've totally remodeled my kitchen. while keeping it in character with its 1950 design. here's my problem. I'm trying to figure out how to finish off this granite counter top in my kitchen with a nice backsplash and or tile. A few pictures of overall kitchen and then a few pictures of granite area. I like the gray horizontal stone tile in first pic but really think it needs a small transition piece at top of granite counter piece. ??? I'm not great at colors but want to finish off this job right.

Advertisement

Last edited by lionscourt; 05-19-2015 at 12:25 AM.
lionscourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I think you need to let the granite do the talking and tone the backsplash. The tile you have as a sample on the wall will be very busy when you do the whole backsplash. I would look at some neutral subway tile and add an insert decorative piece placed lightly throughout. The decorative insert should be coordinated very close to your granite. If you are having a hard time go to a large tile store such as daletile and ask for some suggestions. It will be worth your time and you will get several ideas.

Advertisement

lisadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisadesign For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-27-2015), ZZZZZ (05-28-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,985

Something much more subtle is needed.
Your sample is the wrong color and is fighting
the granite. A plain and solid tile would be a better
choice.
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 402

Let the granite and countertop do the talking. You can also use the same or similar countertop material for your backsplash, but rather than a slab, break it up by selecting a tile format for your backsplash. This can be act as budget-friendlier option than purchasing extra slabs to create a backsplash.
fortunerestore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 58

2 options: 2x4" subway tile keeps it classic and simple.
solid glass tile (2x8", 4x8") in a neutral tone updates the space and gives it a contemporary feel.
richietile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 PM   #6

first of all I'd like to say thanks to all of you for your recommendations. Keep in mind that this was my clients kitchen and she made the decisions on the tile. I was resisting these colors and patterns in favor of what all three of you have recommended. I will post photos of the finished product in the next few weeks and again, thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #7

Client has decided to hold off on tile for right now. Will get back to you later.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 6

thin taupe tile back splash (pick a tone off of the counter top), with a single row of olive tiles running in the middle. will add just a hint of color and warmth to the kitchen
Le Caire Linens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 3,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionscourt View Post
first of all I'd like to say thanks to all of you for your recommendations. Keep in mind that this was my clients kitchen and she made the decisions on the tile. I was resisting these colors and patterns in favor of what all three of you have recommended. I will post photos of the finished product in the next few weeks and again, thanks for all your suggestions.
In your first post you send you were finishing your kitchen??????
Old 11-13-2015, 12:46 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2

contrast colours

I would prefer oak color tile/ backsplash. Contrast colors always add beauty. We have black kitchen granitte top and backsplash tile is yellow. Bedford brooks designs did mine. Choose attarctive design patterns for they might give it visual impact or an optical illusion that none other combination might give.
fannny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
WINDANDVANE.COM

Rewards Points: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to MrWeathervane

I'd go with the same type of tile that you have in the sample pictured, except all one neutral color or perhaps all slight variations of the same color, I'd personally go with a taupe.

Advertisement

MrWeathervane is offline   Reply With Quote