Kitchen Cabinet Toekick Color - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Kitchen Cabinet Toekick color

I've been looking through various design options for new cabinets for my kitchen (existing is non-existent [ha!]) and have settled on a cabinet design and color scheme for the kitchen but I now have a design dilemma with the toe-kicks in the kitchen. I am a huge fan of the mid-century design as well as a lot of the newer sleeker designs so I am not sure where to go with this and am looking for some exterior perspectives.

The mid-century kitchens ALL have black toe-kicks on their cabinets and it looks great. A lot of newer designs use the cabinet wood stain colors and take that down to the floor. I am not sure on how to address the toe kicks. The attachment shows roughly what I am doing in terms of design & colors. The white thing on the left is a built-in hutch (existing) that I will most likely leave white. Cabinets are all new and will be custom (attachment 2) and probably stained in a similar color as the picture. I haven't decided on the sink yet (drop-in vs. apron sink.) The upper cabinet is still in sketch form and I haven't reworked it to accommodate a microwave yet. dimensions on windows and the like are approximate - once I sign I plan on doing a proper survey.

http://doghouse.coyoteyip.com/?p=387 shows a good example of the baseboards with some original ads at the bottom for reference.

Thanks!
:beer:
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Cabinet Toekick color-kitchen_2.jpg   Kitchen Cabinet Toekick color-roma-dark-walnut-full-door.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by cellophane; 10-27-2009 at 11:21 AM.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I think the black toe kicks are awesome! They complement the dark countertops and, since the black kind of fades into the background, the cabinets appear to hover just above the floor. Staining the toe kick the same color as the cabinets would look fine too and might make the cabinets feel a little more 'grounded'... but my vote is definitely for black!

Is that green the color you're considering for the walls? I really like that too.

Advertisement

diy mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

That is pretty close to the green I am planning on using. I think the counter material will also end up a little darker than what is shown but I'm not 100% on that yet.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I'd stain them the same color as the cabinet.
Plumb And Light is offline   Reply With Quote