Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Share |

insecure decorator...

When do you say enough is enough?
Ive primed, test painted my walls 2 times now. I've stripped, primed, painted glazed, hated it primed painted aand glazed furniture again.
When do i stop this madness? I feel like I will never be satisfied OR i hhave no creative streak in me anymore. Help!
KimmersTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
DIY staff

insecure decorator...

Sounds like you need a tall cold drink and some good music!

Some times it takes a break to clear the mind then the solution will come----Mike---
Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #3

insecure decorator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmersTN View Post
Ive primed, test painted my walls 2 times now. I've stripped, primed, painted glazed, hated it primed painted aand glazed furniture again.
When do i stop this madness? I feel like I will never be satisfied OR i hhave no creative streak in me anymore. Help!
Post some pictures of your projects and tell us what you dont like about it.
LordOfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

insecure decorator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmersTN View Post
It's OK. Give us some pics. I'm sure it looks great.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #5

insecure decorator...

Yes, pics. Sometimes you can have this vague idea in your head about how you want a project to end up/what younwant it to do to the room, and regardless, you'll always feel the need to putz with it, even if other ppl love it.
RealHouswifOfOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

insecure decorator...

Many an artist has ruined a good painting or sculpture by overworking it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #7

insecure decorator...

Hi, i suggest you stop first and then relax for a while. And then try to evaluate what the exact thing or color you want on it. Try to look for designs and home magazines, maybe it could give you idea of what look you really like to achieve.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 04-20-2011 at 06:02 AM.
jasonstrent070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:18 AM   #8

insecure decorator...

Yes, Jason has a good thought. Maybe you should go through some magazines and just pull out pictures of whatever strikes your fancy, whether it be a fabulous shirt, a stunning landscape, just a room you like.....whatever. Do this for a few weeks, once you have a nice pile, go through them and see if any sort of theme develops.....a color theme, a specific design that keeps coming up, an era in time, perhaps. Maybe you thought you really wanted a dark wood, ornate English piece, but you pulled a bunch of pictures of beach scenes/colors, and really love a seaside, or even Shabby Chic weathered white. This may give you a fresh take on things, or new ideas.
RealHouswifOfOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

insecure decorator...

Just another thought. You might enjoy one of the virtual painting programs. You can either pick a room similar to yours or input your own photos and mask of the areas to be painted. Then try out infinite color combinations, levels of transparency to simulate glazes, etc. I use the one from Benjamin Moore but Sherwin Williams (and I suspect others) has one. They are online and free. You can download the Benjamin Moore one.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #10

insecure decorator...

Go to open houses, home shows or look online for room ideas Gets the juices flowing better!
eokhuijzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

insecure decorator...

I still think the best advice offered so far is to just step back from this for awhile. Get a martini glass and and a shaker and mix a drink in the colors you think you like and just live with it a bit.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
WindowTreatment Installer

insecure decorator...

Your over thinking it. There is some good advice here.Take a break do something to get your mind off this project. Then when your in a better state of mind, start having some fun with it. Spent a weekend and visit as many model homes as you can. They are decorated by professional decorators. I've found a lot of inspiring ideas there and it's a good time. Bring a spouse or a friend. But remember don't think too much about it just go with your feelings.
bobtheblindguy is offline   Reply With Quote