Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

I'm colorblind...

I'm remodeling a home in the suburbs of Minneapolis, Minnesota. I'm starting in the lower level, below grade, and then once that is complete I will be moving everything downstairs then remodeling upstairs. Anywho, I'm trying to figure out colors for everything...and I'm colorblind.

For flooring I'm thinking of going with this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Traffic-M...4089/204135461#

It's cheap, it's laminate and it's darker which I think will look nice. This would go on all of the floors downstairs.

For moulding I was thinking of going white in color to accent the floor with this style: http://www.lowes.com/pd_29946-1487-6...9946&facetInfo=

The doors would also be white and I was thinking of going with white cabinets throughout the house. Not a true white but a tad off. That brings me to my question. What should I paint the walls? I want to keep everything sort of neutral but not like your typical builder's neutral colors such as beige and brown. I do plan on selling this home in the spring or summer so that should be taken into consideration. I'd like to keep it simple too and maybe paint everything one color except for the bathroom. All that said I went to Sherwin Williams and grabbed some paper paint samples.

In my top ten list of books all time is The Picture of Dorian Gray so I like the color Dorian Gray for the majority of the colors downstairs.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...7-dorian-gray/
For the bathrooms I was thinking of Gauntlet Gray. I just skipped two colors down on the sample. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...gauntlet-gray/

Are these horrible combinations? I know I didn't mention anything about countertop colors but I'd probably go with something dark to offset the cabinets being white. A granite or maybe concrete countertops. Any and all comments will be welcome with open arms since I'm an amateur.
thank you

lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

I'm colorblind...

The colors are all lovely. I live in Fla. and would tend to go a bit lighter. Do the bathrooms get a lot of natural light? That gray seems a tiny bit dark to me but I do like grays.

In the Hickory flooring pictures from HD link is that the same shade in both photos? I like the one in the picture with the table, but the other would be a little too dark for me, but maybe that's only a close up.

good luck with your project.

Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I'm colorblind...

no natural light in any bathroom unfortunately. My wife told me that the dark gray might make the bath look too small. I guess I have to lighten it up then. Thanks for your help.
lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 274

I'm colorblind...

What I think white colour is appropriate.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I'm colorblind...

I think the greys are awesome but would go with a shade lighter than dorian grey. This color might look darker on the wall than on the chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Afossas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I'm colorblind...

I would like white color, that would be great if cabinet go with white

luckybabydoll is offline   Reply With Quote